Full suspension for £2000?

study45
study45 Posts: 4
edited October 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi, I've been riding trails around sheffield on a pretty basic hardtail for a few years. The day where I can finally afford to upgrade to something better has come! I only ride socially so not too fussed about weight. Are there new full sus bikes worth buying for around 2k

Comments

• I'd take a look at the Canyon bikes around that price point, well reviewed and excellent spec. There's the Canyon bike thread on these forums somewhere too so you can have a chat with other owners.

They also look mega sexy too
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    There's awhole host of full suss bikes for that price, as to recommending some it would depend how much travel you want.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    What sort of riding do you do?
    Forget about the amount of suspension travel, it doesn't define how a bike rides or what it's capable of.
    There are loads of good options at £2k
  • Rad2474
    Rad2474 Posts: 162
    The new Bird fs looks good,albeit it's not out yet.
  • Thanks.
    It would be for various stuff. Mainly XC, but a few tricky rocky peak district decents
  • JodyP
    JodyP Posts: 193
    study45 wrote:
    Thanks.
    It would be for various stuff. Mainly XC, but a few tricky rocky peak district decents

^ I had the same quandary about 12 months ago and opted for a Giant Anthem. I mainly ride XC round Sheffield but have days out in the peaks also. It handles the rocky descents well and 4" travel seemed like the best compromise.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I have had an Anthem and it would be ideal for the riding described. It's a surprisingly capable bike.
  • Bit more money bought what about the Santa Cruz Heckler
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    If the anthem rides anywhere near as well as the trance you'll love it, I can't comment on something like the heckler but I'm on my second trance and love them, especially with the 650b wheels on my new one.
  • rockmonkeysc
    The Anthem rides very similar to the last generation Trance X, there's nothing in it between them.
  • That's nice.
    Some people have an issue with the online retail/can't test ride it/what of it goes wrong stuff.
    That would be a great bike on the trails around me.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    study45 wrote:

That's basically the newer model of mine (Nerve XC9) - had mine for almost 3 years now. Great bike - very lightweight and just right for the riding I do - natural singletrack trails in the local forests. Nothing has come anywhere close to challenging the bike - I'll give up long before it does.... not saying much to be honest. Perfect for the kind of riding you mention.

I've not had problems with the direct selling model. Bike turned up fine and I spent 20 mins assembling it. If you can get over that then you'll not find many better specced bikes.