Chain slipping

Davis_XI
Davis_XI Posts: 151
edited October 2014 in Workshop
New Ultegra 6700 cassette, new Dura Ace chain but still slipping on both rings when I put any pressure down? Checked crank bolts are all tight.

Comments

• Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Look for a stiff link on the chain or give it a quarter turn on the cable adjuster
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Are the front rings worn? Slipping on those is less common but possible.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • Davis_XI
    After a short ride this morning I've now got a buckled back wheel, bent rear hanger and a twisted rear deraileur. The chances are I've also got a worn front crank! :cry:
  • moyesie
    moyesie Posts: 68
    I've just had the very same issue.

New cassette, new chain and violent chain slipping even when riding up and down the street to check the gear changes.

Replaced inner chainring and problem solved.

Worn teeth have a flat appearance.
  • Davis_XI
    Just waiting to see what my LBS has to say. Going to take at least a week though. Thinking of maybe getting the 105 11 speed derailleur and crank if they both need replacing.
  • Davis_XI
    Still no news from the LBS so I've been doing some thinking. Is it possible that if my chain was too short it could pull my deraileur into my back wheel?
  • maybe too long and rear mech is running on cassette?
    Have you run the chain correctly through the derailler cage?
  • Davis_XI
    Pretty sure I had. I managed to cycle 10 miles before everything hit the fan. Because of the chain slipping under pressure I was in the large cog at the back (25).
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I had exactly the same scenario and a mate had similar too, my mate rode his out which took a week or so. I feared for my busters so I ran through the usual suspects but the slip kept occurring under load, after reading about the stiff link issue I lubed the chain a few times and ran the chain through a rag, bingo.
  • Davis_XI
    So got the diagnosis today. New rear deraileur (hanger ok), new front chainring. The front chainring sounds like it was the problem all along. Problem I have now is what to do next. New Ultegra chainring or replace the whole thing with a new 105 11 speed crank. Only a few pounds difference.
  • Davis_XI
    Back on the road today. New crank, new rear derailleur. Initial problem was the front crank teeth were worn but the rear derailleur going into the back wheel was caused by me cutting the chain too short.

I will definitely be measuring my chain at least once a month from now on! :roll: