New 26' hardtail

vlado
vlado Posts: 41
edited October 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi,
would like to buy new 26' hardtail but it seems like all new MTBs are 27,5' or 29'. I'm trying to find one 26' with alluminium frame and good specs-from deore or slx up, disc brakes, with rear rack compatible frame (very important on my specs list) and could have hollowtech bottom bracket. Money is not an issue. Any ideas???

Thanks.

Comments

• jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    There are very few complete 26er hardtails being made these days (at least, very few with quality components), as most manufacturers are pushing the bigger wheel sizes.

However, if you're happy putting one together, then you can still find lots of good quality frames, forks and wheelsets in 26" sizes, so you may find it best to buy separates and then at least you can spec everything yourself, rather than having to pllump for a package put together by somebody else.

However, I'm interested to know why you're so keen to stick with a 26" hardtail?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Try looking on Pauls Cycles for a 2013 model bargain. There are still plenty around and some great discounts.
  • matzou
    matzou Posts: 19
    Commençal meta sx26.
    http://www.commencal-store.com/Mobile/M ... d=14798774

The frame and overall geometry seems to have been praised by testers but for the high end specs, well youll need to upgrade.
    Commencal meta ht race 650b :) Broaappp :)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Lots of older model bargains about.
  • vlado
    jimothy78:Reason is I 'd like to use it for my next year Tajikistan trip. It should be bit of a touring MTB and 26' are stronger and easier to find as spares in asia countries. Whole idea behind is I'd like to have front suspension on this trip and dedicated touring bikes don't have it.
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Fair enough, makes sense. If I was you I'd go for cable, rather than hydraulic brakes, then.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Go for a rockshox coil fork, any - most reliable and easiest to service out there.
  • vlado
    Cable brakes are better but it should be only 2000km trip on Pamir highway and around, and on such a short distance is low chance for any good hydraulics to break down. That's why I'd like to try them.
  • shindig
    shindig Posts: 173
    Surly troll. I have one. Great bike. Can also take 27.5wheels and at a push 700c wheel.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    vlado wrote:
    Cable brakes are better but it should be only 2000km trip on Pamir highway and around, and on such a short distance is low chance for any good hydraulics to break down. That's why I'd like to try them.

I would almost be suggesting rim brakes as you will likely struggle to get replacement disc brake components in case of problems. For that trip you need to be a flexible as you can.
  • vlado
    Troll looks perfect. I'll probably give it a go. What's your height and frame size?