Father of the year, or pipe dream?

BigPappa
BigPappa Posts: 5
edited October 2014 in Road buying advice
Does anyone have input on preferred bikes / systems for long rides with two young kids?

Preferably a sub-$2K adventure touring bike, with granny gears, and disc brakes.

I am trying to figure out which adult touring bike (and system) to use with my kids. The four-year old child will be in an attached trailer bike (with coupler), and the two-year old child will be in a chariot trailer behind that (via skewer hub)...unless someone has a better idea.

I already own a Specialized Tarmac for zipping around, and a Santa Cruz mountain bike for the trails. For a few years now, I've reluctantly trailed my oldest child in the Chariot trailer via the carbon fiber Tarmac. The ergonomics are all wrong, especially in the hills.

Now I have both a four-year old and a two-year old child, plus we live in major mountains. I want to do LONG family rides, and commutes around town (paved / gravel mixed). Ideally the bike could also be used for (solo) century rides. Once they are older, I'd like to explore multi-day touring with me on the same bike.

Salsa Vaya? Kona Sutra? Trek 520? Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker and/or Straggler?

Big thanks!

Comments

• CptKernow
    CptKernow Posts: 467
    Personally I think you are insane towing your kids around on your bike. I fear for my own life when I go out on the road, let alone my kids.

Wouldn't put a dog in one of those trailers.
  • Just get a van instead of all that messing about. Its dangerous having 2 kids swinging of the back of your bike, you could end up with one of them getting hurt or worse. Get them their own bikes when they are old enough to ride sensibly.Until then walk, use the car or public transport.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    The Hase bikes always look pretty good to me - kiddy cranks on the front? http://hasebikes.com/81-1-Tour-Family.html

Doesn't solve the 3 into 2 problem unless you get the hase trailer attachment...
  • You people crack me up. We live rurally, as such we don't have the concerns of a major city (or suburbia). We bagged on the metropolitan scene a couple of years ago. We can ride country roads for days...
  • Dandelionclock30
    Dandelionclock30 Posts: 306
    edited October 2014
    Perhaps you should have said then as this is a U.K site and its not surprisingly mainly people advising people on their road bikes for U.K conditions.No need to be cracked up really,its not something thats caught on here. Perhaps ask the Waltons instead.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Or just don't behave like dicks? To me it sounds like a lovely idea. I know places where I could cover 30-40 miles without even hearing a car, also in the uk.
  • Ironically the UK seems to have a greater percentage of bike tourers, versus other countries/regions. Hence my inquiry.
  • src1
    src1 Posts: 301
    Sounds a brilliant idea, we're hoping to go cycle touring next year. We've got one child (3 months), so a bit easier than your situation.

I think you're on the right lines with something like a Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker. I've towed our trailer with a few different bikes. They all manage fine, but my tourer is the best. You'll need low gears for big hills, good brakes and full guards.

Have you already tried attaching the trailer to the tag-along? Does it work ok? Do you have an option to tow one child behind one bike (e.g., your partners) and the trailer behind your bike? Attaching the trailer to a tag-along doesn't sound like a great idea to me.

I've no experience of Wehoo, but these look good for transporting children too big for a Chariot: http://www.action-kids.com/m1b0s24p300/ ... 2-Pro-2014
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    I wouldn't personally use a trailer - the sprogs can see bugger all, get covered in road muck and will get run over. You're also going to get minimal interaction with same said aforementioned sprog.

I used to use a Hamax seat that clamps on the seat tube and the sprog is behind you are a Dutch seat that clamps onto the top tube in front of you - you then get lots of cuddles and chatting and pointing things out as you go along.

But that's just me.

As an aside, you may want to go on long serious rides but will the sprogs or will they just get tired/whingey/etc - remover, you're doing this for them not you.

Hope that hasn't cracked you up too much.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Thanks to All for the opinions and anecdotes.

Also thanks to Dandelionclock30 for the brilliant insight.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Google 'practical cycles' they are based in Lytham (Lancashire) and have some interesting solutions to cycling with kids or loads.

Also you can buy twin tag-alongs (by Adams I think).

There used to be a kids / family section on bike radar too if that helps.

Anyway, I ride with my 2 kids on the roads in ther UK - they are 6 and 9 now. Have done for nearly 2 years. I think it good to introduce them early to cycling, as they can pick up road sense and it gets them into exercise - in the long term I think you may be exposing them to less risk (certainly health risk) by taking them cycling!
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    The surly would make a fine steed for what you want. Personally I would use a croix der fer but you would have to start with a frameset and build up to get a triple. I see nothing wrong with trailers. Must get one for my daughter. To those who tried to slam the door shut on this idea, just becuase it is something you would not do does not mean others share the same fear. Were I ride I find drivers quite curtious when a Audi Q7 driver waited behind me today until it was safe to pass.

This thread has been disapointing in it responses.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    My kids loved these when they were 3-5: http://www.trail-a-bike.com/products/tr ... er-tandem/
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,717
    Very much so.
    I don't really have any constructive input in terms of what to use, but in terms of the thread title I would say a bit of both. Its not completely a pipe dream, I reckon its doable but may be harder work than you anticipate. With respect to father of the year, the kids will probably love it but there is a lot of competition in that category.
    Good luck and enjoy the time with your kids.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498

Indeed - it does show those who cannot think outside their own little world. Surely the giveaway was the $2k limit the OP gave.

Quite right to have concerns over the trailer, however, IME cars give more room to those with trailers, precisely because they think there is a child onboard (even if we're just using it for luggage!).
    I have used a trailer with a 2yo onboard and it wasn't easy keeping her engaged - she ended up going to sleep! I thought at the time it would be handy to have a camera and monitor so I could see what she was up to and engage with her - and she was just behind me - further back on the back of a tag-along would've been difficult to talk to.
    12v wireless camera & monitors are available for caravan/campervan cheaply (~£40 for the video only kit, just add power) - may be worth considering.

My friends use a top tube child seat - although it gives rubbish position and knocks your legs about something chronic it does mean you've got the child with you. Had fun with the 4yo this summer whizzing up and down a hill (whilst her parents & siblings struggled up! ;) ) - it's something I'd consider for shorter rides and would work well with a tag-along.

I like that WeeHoo tagalong though - but perhaps a side-by-side trailer would be better? with twin wheels at the back you don't get the issue of the trailer leaning over to one side - unless the road camber dictates. Although I don't know if anyone does those with pedals for the occupants to operate!
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Sometimes see a guy riding along with his 2 kids on the back of a kona ute cargo bike, seems to do the job well.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    My two would get bored just sitting in a trailer for half an hour or so. For them I expect it's like being on a car journey where you can't talk to mum and dad, there's no heating and you can't see very much.

They're now 7 & 9, we do a bit of biking together but nothing that's rewarding for me (in cycling terms). Personally I try to keep my family cycling plans pretty limited so that I'm confident they'll enjoy spending the time with me on the bikes.

Took the 7 yo blatting through some muddy trails at the weekend; did about 5 miles or so and he seemed to enjoy himself. Makes me Father Of The Year that does ;-)
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    I went to Cornwall recently and hired a bike and a trailer for the dog! Rode from Padstow to Bodmin and back which was only about 26 miles but too far for the dog to gallop along all the time. I can see the attraction of a trailer from a riders point of view, you can get out when you might otherwise be child minding but I'm not sure kids would find it much fun after the novelty wore off!

I should also mention that at one point a wheel fell off and the trailer tipped on it's roof, fortunately the dog was galloping at the time so didn't come a cropper! Probably due it being an aging one relegated to canine duties!
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise