Ordering new 953 frame

Michiel953
Michiel953 Posts: 7
edited October 2014 in Your road bikes
Hello all,

Let me introduce myself: Michiel, I live in Holland, now 61 years of age. Married two years ago, lovely twin girls of now almost 17 months old.

I rode criteriums and some road races for 25 years (won a Surrey League race in March 88, ha ha) until 2005. Lots of things got in the way then, but I'm still riding, albeit not in anger (well; some anger sometimes).

Started racing with a Holdsworth touring bike, got an Allin the following season and my first Roberts frame (still have it) early 86. Numerous Roberts frames later my "stable" now consists of a 2007 Roberts 953 compact (7.9 kgs, a mix of Record and Chorus and carbon front and rear; I think it was the first 953 frame Chas/Adrian/Winston built) and a 2012 Time RXRS Ulteam TdF limited edition (Record). They're both similar in riding position and remarkably similar in riding feel.

I'm now in the process of "designing" and then ordering a new frameset, non-sloping this time, Roberts (of course) 953 again.

If you all are interested I'll keep you posted on the progress!

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Brilliant stuff - chapeau. Keep us updated and please crush all the whippersnappers for me.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Thanks Matt and will do (not the crushing part; not necessary usually, ha ha). No pics to follow the progress I'm afraid like DRLodge did a couple of years ago, fascinating post btw.

Another anecdote: 1999 probably I visited Roberts, talked a bit to Andrew, then still there, and noticed a slightly dusty carbon rear triangle lying about.
    I asked what it was, and Andrew replied that it was something Chas hadn't got round to working with yet. So I said "Well, he can start now". That resulted in a lovely lugless Dedacciai EOM frame...
  • You had twins at the age of 59/60? Are you sure that you have the time to cycle, or is this an excuse to get out of the house? ;-)
  • 60 SDW. No, I don't. Twice an hour (full throttle of course) in the weekend is the max. I have a fulltime job as a lawyer as well. We live near the coast, and the cyclepath through the dunes, up and dwon, is my place. It's fantastic, looks like the South Downs or the Provence here and there (with a bit of imagination).
  • Another snippet of useless information: I'm Michiel953 on a few sites, amongst which Flickr, Michiel Faro on FB and MikeF4Black (MV Agusta for a few years) on some sites. My bikes are on Roberts' Flickr gallery.

Cheers all!
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Michiel953 - what part of the Dutch Coast do you ride around? I ask because my wife's parents have recently moved to one of the islands near Middleburg and I'm planning to see how much of that area I can get around.
  • @Kingstonian: I'm just north of The Hague. If that's the island Middelburg is on you're referring to it's Walcheren, and it's lovely for cycling. Lots of minor roads and not a lot of traffic. I used to ride crits there as well: Aagtekerke, Biggekerke, Koudekerke... the list goes on! The entire area, other islands as well, lends itself very well for cycling.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Michiel953 wrote:
    @Kingstonian: I'm just north of The Hague. If that's the island Middelburg is on you're referring to it's Walcheren, and it's lovely for cycling. Lots of minor roads and not a lot of traffic. I used to ride crits there as well: Aagtekerke, Biggekerke, Koudekerke... the list goes on! The entire area, other islands as well, lends itself very well for cycling.

Yep, that's it. They are actually on another island in that area but it does look like a decent place to ride, so will definitely take my bike the next time we go.
  • Have fun!