Going Carbon at my age!!!

Sitomas
Sitomas Posts: 7
edited October 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi Peeps,
After reaching my half century I have decided to indulge myself in a new road bike. I'm hoping to compete in some triathlons next year for fun and social. I'm a chunky rugby sort of build but still can whack the miles out on my hybrid or old racer. I'm after a stable quick bike to do low key time trials, odd triathlon and summer cycling, def not going down the uncomfortable Tri cycle way!
I've been given some advice to look at the Trek Domane 4.5 disc Road bike. I like the idea of disk brakes and it has the seat post flex isospeed decoupler which at my weight certainly would help my saddle sore rear end! :shock:
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this range of cycles? All advice greatly appreciated!

Laters Si

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Get a Felt AR. Flip the seatpost for TT's and Tri's. Still don't see a need for disk brakes on a road bikes*, especially as they're detrimental in the aforementioned disciplines.

*don't want this to turn into a disk vs. rim debate. Just one man's opinion.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Grill wrote:

*don't want this to turn into a disk vs. rim debate. Just one man's opinion.

Probably best not to write it then ;)
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Will discs be allowed in these events or will you risk buying a bike and then find you can't use it?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Grill
    Will discs be allowed in these events or will you risk buying a bike and then find you can't use it?

They're not allowed on UCI events and I don't believe you can use them on BC events either. Fine for CTT, just counterproductive.
  • Hey Si

I've got a Domane 4.3 - used to ride a Madone 5 series before it got nicked and the Domane is very cool and compares really well. I'm 55, 6 ft 5in and 200lbs and the ride is outstanding. I was a bit uncertain about getting it at first because I thought the isospeed decoupler would make the ride too spongy after the Madone but it doesn't at all. And it's true that you don't really notice it that much.

I'm a little less supple than I was and so I appreciate it.

Can't quite recall what the difference between a 4.3 and 4.5 is but I don't think its the frame (higher quality carbon on the 5 series I think). Group set? You might want to bin the wheels - the ones on the 4.3 are famously cheap and I had problem with mine from the off. I replaced them within weeks, upgrading to Ksyrium Elites.

So a thumbs up from me for the Domane. Go buy and enjoy...
    Keep the stock wheels and ride to bits, get some Planet X 80s for competing on - look ridiculously cool, stiff as anything, roll really well, very good price. Job jobbed.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Peeps,
    Great advice from all! Suppose I just got used to disc brakes but never had a prob with rim ones, so for Tri's I'll go for rim brakes. Keeping with the Trek Domane.....Felt AR looked far to professional for moi!! Nice to hear a proper feedback from a Domane owner, was wondering about spongy ride! Good advice about the Planet X 80's! Thanks for all your input :D

Cheers Si
  • Here you go, cant do better than this offer. £700 off! I just bought one.
    http://www.wheelbase.co.uk/bikes/road/mens-road-bikes/focus-cayo-evo-20-c-2014/
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    How old will you be when you are allowed titanium? :wink:
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • If you just turned 50 then you have to buy a custom ti frame. It's the law.

That was my excuse anyway.

Whatever you decide, enjoy your new bike!
  • Already got a Ti cycle!! Did John O'Groats to Lands End on it but it's twitchy as hell, it'll provide the pennies for the new one!! :D
  • Grill
    What size stem are you running?
  • Haven't a clue! Sorry! It's a Sabbath September and I love it but you can't relax at all on it, take a hand off the handlebars and prepare to die!!
  • bontie
    bontie Posts: 177
    I am no expert, but it sounds like your weight distribution is uneven. If you move saddle backwards a bit my experience is that the abovementioned will improve. A riding mate has a September and I’d call it a lot of things, but twitchy isn’t one of them.