To what extent should a fork lockout....lock out?

Barnymeinhoff
Barnymeinhoff Posts: 62
edited October 2014 in MTB general
Any thoughts/advice appreciated.

I have a lockout for my front forks and whilst they are stiffer when engaged ( ooh er )
there is still noticeable movement especially when standing forward to peddle.

B.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What forks?
    A mechaincal lockout locks it solid, a damper lockout (any decent fork) will still have noticeable movement.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it depends on the fork

so do most don't.

but as we don't have ESP on this site who can tell you what yours should do.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Its a Manitou M30 Air at a guess (as he rides a Cube Acid 2015 - I can see why they called it Acid, it's what the guy who chose the colour scheme was on!).

You will get some movement.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Rookie bang on ( sorry for the lack of info. )

I would be lying if I said the colours had nothing to do with the choice, fallout from spending the early 90's dancing in fields to electronic music.

Thanks for the advice, they do need a bit more air in them and the rebound could do with adjusting but finding them great for my needs otherwise.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    The Rookie wrote:
    Its a Manitou M30 Air at a guess (as he rides a Cube Acid 2015 - I can see why they called it Acid, it's what the guy who chose the colour scheme was on!).

You will get some movement.

in 26/27.5 its a cheap ass variation of the R7 with 30mm stantions, plastic knobs, 6000 Series aluminum stanchions and the crown isn't bored out. in 29er is a cheap version of the marvel so should have ABS+ compression damping, TPC rebound.

ABS is a platform damper so depending on what the shims are then it will only move after a certain amount of force is applied to it.
  • Ulysses
    Ulysses Posts: 104
    Just as example.

My Fox forks have three settings - Climb (locked out), Trail and Descent.
    My Rockshox have two, locked out or not locked out.

When the Fox forks are locked out there is hardly any movement, I can get out the saddle on climbs and they feel pretty much rigid, on the other hand the Rockshox when locked out still bob noticeably when getting out the saddle on climbs.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Ulysses wrote:
    Just as example.

My Fox forks have three settings - Climb (locked out), Trail and Descent.
    My Rockshox have two, locked out or not locked out.

When the Fox forks are locked out there is hardly any movement, I can get out the saddle on climbs and they feel pretty much rigid, on the other hand the Rockshox when locked out still bob noticeably when getting out the saddle on climbs.
    Doesn't really mean much though since those aren't the forks he has.