Race bikes and mudguards

JesseD
JesseD Posts: 1,961
edited October 2014 in Workshop
Hi all,

I have a question re mudguards.

Anyone have a close clearance race frame and managed to fit full mudguards to it, and if so what guards have you fitted and did it require any modifications?

I have a Cannondale System Six frameset and as it’s my only bike at the moment and winters coming I need to fit it with mudguards, I have tried Crud Roadracers and didn’t get on with them so wanted to try and fit full guards if possible, any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated, if anyone has any pics that would be great too!

Thanks all
Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!

Comments

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    You could try SKS Raceblade Longs.
  • mlgt
    mlgt Posts: 366
    Ive just fitted some race longs on my canyon and its fine. Needs a bit of tinkering to get the fitting in but only took 15 mins to get it all sorted.
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0
  • JesseD
    Didnt even know these existed but they seem to be pretty much what I am looking for, any issues with fitting or when being used? looking at the rear it seems as if the part which extends ebtween the rear dropouts and seat tube may rattle about a bit, has this been the case?
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    As per my post in another section:

Raceblade Longs work very well but I only use the rear section on each wheel. The guards come with 2 sections per wheel but the bit that goes in front of the bridge is far too much faffe and adds to the weight (without adding to function). I run these with 25s.

The mudguards can be put on/removed in a few mins and, once set up, don't need any additional adjustment. There are 2 'features': The break in the cover for the brake bridge means that there is a tendency to dump water around the brakes and the connection is not all it could be (there are a few reports of the clip mech failing although the post sales support is very good).

The Cruds Roadracers mk2 also work but I found they needed continual adjustment and flexed just too much in operation (as in, when honking up a hill), others rave about them though. Don't think they would work with 25s, I tried them with 23s and the clearance was very tight.
  • JesseD
    Cheers for that, just popped into my LBS and they seem to think the Bontrager full guards will fit ok as well, he even said they would fit em free of charge if I bought from them, seems reasonable I suppose as I have a feeling they wont fit so if not then they can keep them and if they do I am on to a winner!
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Bobbinogs wrote:

Raceblade Longs work very well but I only use the rear section on each wheel. The guards come with 2 sections per wheel but the bit that goes in front of the bridge is far too much faffe and adds to the weight (without adding to function). I run these with 25s.

would this not make buying the long version a bit pointless, just get the normal raceblades, they don't come with the front bits.

I think they would be useful though, i have the normal version and a lot of spray comes off the front of the front wheel.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Normal raceblades aren't long enough for group rides, they are only designed to stop you getting muddy, not the person behind you.
  • Raceblade Longs are about the best option for close clearance frames IMO. Nice long flappage front n rear so it's not just you they benefit. They can be whipped orf in a matter of seconds too if needed.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Mike03776 wrote:
    Normal raceblades aren't long enough for group rides, they are only designed to stop you getting muddy, not the person behind you.

You could always buy a couple of these:-

2000378_1.mlgckvhwas.jpg

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/sks- ... aid:713301

Shouldn't be too difficult to remove the existing inadequate flap and fit this longer one.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    Chris Bass wrote:
    Bobbinogs wrote:

would this not make buying the long version a bit pointless, just get the normal raceblades, they don't come with the front bits.

I think they would be useful though, i have the normal version and a lot of spray comes off the front of the front wheel.
    The longs are more securely attached and don't slip from the ideal position which the Raceblades do in my experience. They also wrap round the wheel further and so provide increased protection.
  • Jahmoo
    Jahmoo Posts: 168
    I had my reservations when looking at these, but once on and adjusted to my bike, all well and good, really work and clean I stay.

I have Roubiax Disc, so was a little bit of a pain, but a bit of bending metal, all working like a treat.
  • borisface
    borisface Posts: 273
    Anyone tried the PDW full metal fender linked in the post above? Any views? Thinking about getting a pair for my dolan mythos which is no relegated to winter bike status.
  • borisface wrote:
    Anyone tried the PDW full metal fender linked in the post above? Any views? Thinking about getting a pair for my dolan mythos which is no relegated to winter bike status.

Yep I have the Portlands, by far the best guards I have used. Tried Cruds, Raceblade long, yet the Portlands have zero rattle, zero rub and no gaps above the brakes. Plus they look pretty decent as well. I suspect they will last longer than the others, neither of which lasted a full winter.
  • JesseD
    xscreamsuk wrote:
    Yep I have the Portlands, by far the best guards I have used. Tried Cruds, Raceblade long, yet the Portlands have zero rattle, zero rub and no gaps above the brakes. Plus they look pretty decent as well. I suspect they will last longer than the others, neither of which lasted a full winter.

The portlands look great but i suspect you have to have a fair bit of clearence between tyre and brake bridge and between tyre and seat-tube and BB to fit them, especially if like most you run a larger tyre in the winter months like a 25mm instead of a 23mm.

What bike you fitted these too and what size tyre you running, any pics of them fitted?