Cx tyres - method behind madness!!

Matthewfalle
Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
edited October 2014 in Cyclocross
Morning all

A quick one - is it possible to run cx tyres on a normal road bike or will there just not be enough clearance? I've been given a bike and want to use it as a gravel bike if poss so cx tyres are my first thought.

Thank you very much
Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.

Comments

• Its unlikely CX tyres will run on a road bike. A "normal" road bike will not have the clearance, in terms of frame and brakes.

With our knowing the bike and clearances its hard to tell what you could fit, but any tough tyre would work for gravel - doesn't new to be knobby, just resists tears, punctures etc, I would go the biggest possible size I could fit, 25c, 28c?
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Some road bikes will not take tyres bigger than about 23mm. Most will accomodate 25mm. Some will accomodate 27 or 28mm and maybe in some cases 30mm. For gravel or mud I think you'll want to go bigger than that. 32-34mm is typical for cyclocross and if not competing you may well want to go a little bigger. It's very unlikely your bike will take typical CX tyres.
  • Matthewfalle
    No problem - thank you very much for the replies.

28s it is then - have to have a play and see. Whatever happens, it should be a laugh finding out.

Thanks again.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Check they would fit first!
    Also worth noting the sizes can vary by manufacturer!
  • Matthewfalle
    Have just popped some old road 28s on and its a tight squeeze - a couple of mm clearance, so a no go for knobblies.

Thanks again guys - help much appreciated.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • On_What
    On_What Posts: 516
    I've run 23C Schwalbe cross tyres on a road bike.
  • Matthewfalle
    On_What wrote:

Ooooh - that sounds perfect. Do you have links? I can only find links to the Evo Pro that comes in a 30 (have tried Chainreactioncycles, Wiggle, will head around a bit more now)

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    I cannot resist.

This is the automotive equivalent to your suggestion, but not NEARLY as insane as what you are proposing: http://speedcarz.com/1965-mini-cooper-t ... v8-engine/
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • On_What
    On_What Posts: 516
    On_What wrote:

Ooooh - that sounds perfect. Do you have links? I can only find links to the Evo Pro that comes in a 30 (have tried Chainreactioncycles, Wiggle, will head around a bit more now)

It was this tyre, can't remember where I bought them from, but they were 7000 23c http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/schwal ... black.html

I had to gently shave the centre knobbles down a bit to fit them to my Planet X, but they fitted my girlfriend's Specialized Dolce fine. We ran them on her bike @ approx 75psi.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Schwalbe CX Pro is 30mm....you want at least 5mm of clearance if riding in mud, otherwise mud will pack under the forks/brakes and bring you to a halt. A 28mm touring tyre can give a surprising amount of grip on hard-pack trails, but as soon as it gets soft and muddy, will be pretty hopeless.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • JoostG
    JoostG Posts: 189
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Schwalbe CX Pro is 30mm....you want at least 5mm of clearance if riding in mud, otherwise mud will pack under the forks/brakes and bring you to a halt. A 28mm touring tyre can give a surprising amount of grip on hard-pack trails, but as soon as it gets soft and muddy, will be pretty hopeless.

I bought those (Schwalbe CX Pro) to test them in my Cannondale Caad9: the wideness isn't the problem, it is just to high (the tyre touches the seat tube).

After doing a couple of tracks with a cyclocross bike I experienced that a converted road bike isn't enough.