Bars that work well with Di2?

londoncommuter
londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
edited October 2014 in Road buying advice
Is there anything I should look out for in carbon bars for working well with Ultegra Di2 (6870 with the 3 port junction box if that makes any difference)? I was just wondering about running wires and such.

Also, what are people's thoughts on having the junction box under the stem v's on the bottom of an an out front mount? Either way, it would be covered by a garmin (I'd leave that on the stem if the junction box was under it). Has anyone got any photos of the latter?

Many thanks for any tips.

Comments

• Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    The bars shouldn't matter as the cables come out under the bar tape, alongside the brake cables.

There are a couple of out front mounts that have a bracket for the Di2 junction box. Otherwise, cable tie it to a brake cable.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • It's just that I'd spotted this and wondered how much it mattered:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/fsa-k-wing-comp ... handlebar/

Yes, the barfly has the slots for cable ties for the junction box but I wasn't sure how bad the "standard" approach of under the the stems looked if you've got say Garmin 500 on top hiding the slightly ugly strap. Sorry, I'm being a tart here.....
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    You're being a huge tart. Running Di2 cables is really no different than standard cables. So save your money and buy normal bars with the right shape.

Run the junction box under the stem. It's cleaner and the strap isn't a big deal, especially if said stem is black.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • I won't mention then that I'm pondering dodgy Chinese 38mm carbon clinchers just so they look good on the Foil....
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    I have ENVE 6.7 tubs as holiday wheels, so I can't really talk...
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    Canyon haven't released it as a separate item, but the new handlebars for the Aeroroad come with a recess I believe for the junction box, see here: http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.com/images/new ... 700-80.jpg
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    That's all very neat but you do need frequent access to the junction box for battery level checks, which I would suggest you do after every couple of rides or even every ride*. If you make it a faff to get to the box, people won't bother checking often enough and they will run out of battery.

* unless you have a Garmin 1000 and EWW01, of course.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I use an aero road bar with a flat top section (3T AeroNova). Because most of the bar is exposed and can't be taped over, I needed something that had internal routing (which the 3T bar does). That way the cables (brake AND Di2) come out close to the stem clamp area - and I don't have to worry about taping them in place or with my hands contacting them in any way.

If you use a standard round bar, then this isn't an issue.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I've got FSA K-Wing Di2 bars on the winter trainer. I like not having the bars wrapped beyond the turn and the flat top and find them more comfortable than round bars. If you want them, get them.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.