Schwalbe One tubeless in 700x28c (or even 700x25c) ???

EdH51
EdH51 Posts: 29
edited October 2014 in Road buying advice
Okay, apparently I didn't do my research very well. I'm building my dream bike (only the 2nd I've ever owned - 1st was a '73 Raleigh International). I read and believed the hype that the new tubeless tires are where it's at with one name leading the charge. I had custom wheels built with tubeless in mind. And I've tried to find the elusive Schwalbe One to no avail. I'm beginning to think I've been sent on a snipe hunt. Is Schwalbe -- the self-proclaimed leader in the tubeless revolution and a supposedly eminently capable company -- really so incompetent? Are the hundreds of posts praising its preeminent product pure balderdash? Do Schwalbe simply think that by pricing the tire somewhere in the stratosphere, everyone will confirm their excellence and no one will point out that the Emperor is parading naked in the streets?

On my side of the pond, retailers have been expecting stock in 2-to-4 weeks for 2-to-4 months (years?) and apparently expect the same for the foreseeable future (your side of the pond seems similarly afflicted).

Apparently, no one buys them. Well, of course no one buys them: they don't exist! (Retailers prefer to sell what's on hand -- not some mythical miracle product that might magically appear in the unforeseeable future.)

(signed) Frustrated Consumer
  • Sarcasm aside, are they any good?
  • Do they actually exist in commercially viable quantity?
  • If so, where?
  • If not, should I abandon tubeless?
  • If not Schwalbe One tubeless, then what? (and don't say Schwalbe anything - may the blighters cease to exist like their tires!)
Old: '73 Raleigh International; Soon to be new: '13/14 Kinesis GF Ti/2, Ritchey, Ultegra, A23/A23OC

Comments

• I got mine as a present from Schwalbe UK to review... you can find the review on my blog in the signature...
    They do exist, I rode them today... :mrgreen:
    left the forum March 2023
  • EdH51
    And how does one get put on Schwalbe UK's Christmas list? Obviously, they forgot to include their retailers....
    Old: '73 Raleigh International; Soon to be new: '13/14 Kinesis GF Ti/2, Ritchey, Ultegra, A23/A23OC
  • I don't know why the distribution is so crap... I think Schwalbe budgeted for a slower response, while they have been submerged with orders... maybe the production line is not yet up to the numbers the market wants... certainly investing a lot in advertising and then not being able to sell the product must be frustrating for them too
  • EdH51
    Well, Schwalbe are doing themselves a serious disservice: dealers on my side of the pond are bad-mouthing Schwalbe and tubeless tire technology quite terribly. That kind of bad publicity can often kill a product (and a company) completely.
  • In the days of internet the opinion of a shop keeper counts as much as a snot ball... a couple of good reviews from those who have an audience and people will buy the tyres. I'm pretty sure they will sort out the distribution before next spring

Try the Hutch Fusion, apparently they are pretty good too
  • EdH51
    Thanks, I'll do that (although I see nothing wider than a 23 as being available). I'm also seriously considering removing the tubeless tape & stem and going with a traditional tubed tire. Continental and Michelin have great reputations and great distribution. Getting the size I want from their catalogs isn't a 3-month proposition.
  • EdH51 wrote:
    Thanks, I'll do that (although I see nothing wider than a 23 as being available). I'm also seriously considering removing the tubeless tape & stem and going with a traditional tubed tire. Continental and Michelin have great reputations and great distribution. Getting the size I want from their catalogs isn't a 3-month proposition.

You can use the tubeless tape for inner tube, no need to remove it
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    http://www.bike24.de/ have the Schwalbe one tubeless in 28mm at half price.
  • EdH51
    Thanks! Somehow, I had missed that. The order has been placed. Including shipping, currency exchange, and surcharge on my credit card, about US$106 the pair. (I may or may not have to pay a US Customs duty on top of that, depending on which side of the bed the person and/or machine handling my package chose to arise.)

Makes sense they'd be in stock in Germany. Again, thanks.
  • paul1000
    paul1000 Posts: 190
    Just put my one tubeless on my zero's, little bit of washing liquid and sore hands, not too difficult, went with 23's due to clearence, can't wait to try them.
  • Today I gave a good thrashing to mine... 80 miles in Kent, including some off road sections of the Sustrand 18 route... didn't skip a beat...
    I am now at 1000 Km, a few cuts and one puncture fixed by the sealant... love them!
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    Rode yesterday with someone who had a set of tubeless Ones. He thought they were great, except for the fact that they are very short lived. The rear tyres was down to the canvas in less than 2000km.
  • robbo2011 wrote:
    Rode yesterday with someone who had a set of tubeless Ones. He thought they were great, except for the fact that they are very short lived. The rear tyres was down to the canvas in less than 2000km.

Done 1,000 Km and I think I am well below half the lifetime... they appear pretty normal wearing to me
  • matt-h
    matt-h Posts: 847
    i have ridden 500 miles on my 28c Tubeless Ones on my Ultegra Wheels.
    I run them at 70 front and 75 rear and they are lovely.

I dont mind if they wear quick, lots of grip, comfort and reassurance that i wont puncture in the dark lanes in the evening

Matt
  • matt-h wrote:
    i have ridden 500 miles on my 28c Tubeless Ones on my Ultegra Wheels.
    I run them at 70 front and 75 rear and they are lovely.

I dont mind if they wear quick, lots of grip, comfort and reassurance that i wont puncture in the dark lanes in the evening

Matt

Neither do I... if they last 2,000 Km so be it... it's a nice race tyre... if I want something durable I run a pair of Randonneur and they'll do 10 K.
    My take is that people spend a lot of money in bollox like stems, chainsets and seatposts and not enough for tyres, which actually do make a bit of difference
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    Absolutely, I'm just relaying the experience. He is a powerful rider who does a lot of climbing though, so 2000km might not be representative of the norm.

I have a pair of One Clinchers waiting to go onto my bike when my stock Mavic tyres finally run out. I really want to get them on but I might wait now until spring.