XTR M9020 vs Race Face Next SL Cinch??

kemp_ad
kemp_ad Posts: 24
edited October 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi Guys

I'm currently building up a new Trail/AM bike.
Got to the stage where I need some cranks.

Now originally I planned for a full XTR 1x11 groupset.

However I'm torn between the new Raceface Next SL cinch or stick with Shimano's new M9020.

This will be my first 1x system so if I struggle too much I may switch to a 2x system in the future if that makes any difference.

What do you guys think is the best?
Its kind of hard to know much on the XTR as its not released yet.
Im also not sure about swaying away from Shimano :?

Thanks
Alex
Specialized Stumpjumper
Bird Zero (current build)

Comments

• warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Much as I like Shimano chainsets in terms of function, the new XTR one is Fugly (capital 'F'!) and ties you to yet another proprietary BCD. With the Next you can chop and change spiders for kind of chainrings you like, and the old one had decent reviews.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    The next SL is pretty amazing weight and stiffness. The Cinch works well. The XTR works fine, but as mentioned.... its OMG Fugly.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    The new XTR bronze tint chainset doesn't really match other typical bike colours. Looks a bit strange...

http://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes ... tml?b=3659
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Some good deals on Truvativ and FSA cranks about.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    supersonic wrote:
    Some good deals on Truvativ and FSA cranks about.

And for good reason, they're usually not on the same level as shimano. If you can go for the Next SL's do it, they're mega light and super stiff, and the BB's seem to last well too
  • supersonic
    I'd put my Noir (and an old one) above XT and even XTR. Lighter arms, stiff. BB not as good admittedly, but a great crank. Is the reason I dumped my XT. The XO have come down a lot, well worth a look.
  • kemp_ad
    Thanks for the response guys.

Hmm, I am quite tempted with the Next's
    Have you heard of any problems with them?

If I do later switch to a 2x system are the RF chainrings as good as Shimano's for shifting?
    Would I be able to fit the RF with Shimano rings?

I'm inching to get my Bird Zero finished so going with Nexts would mean I can get it rolling by end of the month.
    Specialized Stumpjumper
  • Hob Nob
    Hob Nob Posts: 200
    XTR, without a doubt.

You can use normal 104 BCD rings, and also you arn't tired into a specific BB system, which will no doubt be crap. My experience, and that of everyone I ride with is Raceface BB life can be measured in a matter of minutes.
  • kemp_ad
    Yeah I know what your saying on the BB front.
    I've read they have improved them now but I'm still not sure.

I also think you can use a Hope BB.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/hope-mtb-stainless-steel-30mm-bottom-bracket/rp-prod128184

Also isn't the new XTR got different BCD as said above or have I got that bit wrong.

Cheers
    Alex
    Specialized Stumpjumper
  • benpinnick
    edited October 2014
    RF BBs are much improved. We've had no bad reports back and our test ones are 1+ year still going strong. I would say though that the bearings on the 30mm Cinch BB are thin (to allow for the axle) so yes you may find their life less prolonged. No issues yet, but I will be honest, its not had a particularly hard life, so no reason to think it would give up as yet.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • benpinnick
    (and if you do go cinch, you will need the special BB tool too!)
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Hob Nob
    Hob Nob Posts: 200
    Also isn't the new XTR got different BCD as said above or have I got that bit wrong.

You need to make sure you buy the right chainset, some have odd BCD's if they are double specific for example. the One that's a single is a normal 104BCD setup.
    RF BBs are much improved. We've had no bad reports back and our test ones are 1+ year still going strong. I would say though that the bearings on the 30mm Cinch BB are wafer thin (to allow for the axle) so yes you may find their life less prolonged. No issues yet, but I will be honest, its not had a particularly hard life, so no reason to think it would give up as yet.

Yeah, so they keep saying, but own experience proves otherwise. IME they have just been universally crap. Always ended up with a Shimano BB on RF cranks, and no more issues.

The trouble with the 30mm axle Next setup is you are tied into an expensive RF BB with no other option (yet) Hopefully the Hope one will come to market, but it still can't circumnavigate the skinny little 30mm bearing issue where normally a 24mm one sits.
  • I'm doing a build with Shimano 11 speed as well but going with the SIXC Cinch setup instead of Shimano. For me the restriction of replacement rings far out weighs the restriction of having to use a RF BB.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Race Face for my money I reckon. I'm a big fan of Shimano cranks, but can't quite fathom the M9000 ones, not hugely light, questions over the chain retention, slightly odd aesthetics.

Slightly off the wall but I'd be tempted by Lightning too (they make S-Works cranks). Lighter than Next SLs - 470g including BB and Wolf Tooth chainring for a similar price.
  • kemp_ad
    Does anyone know about this Hope BB then?
    Would I still need a special BB tool for that or would a standard tool one work.
    Specialized Stumpjumper
  • supersonic
    I'm a big fan of Shimano cranks, but can't quite fathom the M9000 ones, not hugely light, questions over the chain retention, slightly odd aesthetics.

I have to agree. I'm not one to usually be bothered about aesthetics, but it looks like a heavy Altus offering.
  • benpinnick
    I think the hope runs a 'normal' BB tool. If you like I can call them Monday morning to check. Its worth noting though that the reason RF needs a tool is because the cups are much bigger than normal to accommodate bigger bearings. Or put another way, if you are worried about the size of the bearings on a RF BB, Hope's by definition are likely to be smaller again.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • kemp_ad
    thanks for the offer Ben. I've already dropped them an email on it though :D

From googling around I kind of came to that conclusion that the RF needed a special tool due to the bigger cups and therefore thicker bearings.

hmm, I guess if Hope have stuck with the standard bearing cups its would have to mean slimmer bearing. Hope stuff do seem to be pretty reliable so maybe the smaller bearings arnt a worry.
    Oh I also think Hope have done away with the BB sleeve, to make space I guess.
    Specialized Stumpjumper
  • kemp_ad
    Hope came back to me.
    Sounds like there is the same design as Racefaces with the larger bearing.

"Hi, yes you are right. I must have had a long day! The BBSS30N is correct. And yes you will need a larger spanner. We have those aswell and our dealers can get those for you.
    Cheers. "
    Specialized Stumpjumper
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    If you're spending that sort of cash on cranks then surely buying a specific BB tool isn't going to sting too much?

I'd go for the RFs personally, and I'm also a Shimano fanboi :)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • kemp_ad
    CitizenLee wrote:
    If you're spending that sort of cash on cranks then surely buying a specific BB tool isn't going to sting too much?

I'd go for the RFs personally, and I'm also a Shimano fanboi :)

Not too bothered about the special tool, I was more interested in the bearing size.
    Also I was just wondering that if I bought a RF BB + tool would it work out the same price as a Hope BB.
    Turns out tool required for both so might as well go RF BB and save a few ££'s
    Specialized Stumpjumper