Winter wheel time.....

2»

Comments

• Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I've used Racing 7s and RS21s over the last few years and they do a great job through the winter, at times I've used the 21s during the summer and they've made me question the amount I've spent on wheels. Vanity.
  • Chris James
    Chris James Posts: 1,040
    MichaelW wrote:
    I have used cheap Shimano hubs for winter commuting and never had problems.
    I pack the bearings with grease to exclude crud.

Me too.

If I was the OP I would just run the cheap wheels he already has, and look at what to replace them with once they have actually worn out. But I think a lot of people just enjoy buying stuff.
  • porker33
    porker33 Posts: 636
    That was the point of the post. I have used Rs10's for the last 3 winters, they have worn rims and ready to be replaced, I had narrowed my choice down to those 2 wheelsets (Zonda & Ultegra 6800) on price.

I was interested in hearing if anyone had experience of either wheelset after using them in the winter months.

It seemed fairly straightforward when I first posted?! :)
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    Record Hubs, Nemesis Tub rims and paves.
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • porker33 wrote:
    That was the point of the post. I have used Rs10's for the last 3 winters, they have worn rims and ready to be replaced, I had narrowed my choice down to those 2 wheelsets (Zonda & Ultegra 6800) on price.

I was interested in hearing if anyone had experience of either wheelset after using them in the winter months.

It seemed fairly straightforward when I first posted?! :)

Sorry, I know this doesn't answer your specifc question but if I were you I'd go for handbuilts - use an Archetype or Velocity A23 rim on a 105 or Miche hub. Or even an Open PRO rim but I prefer either of the first two rims tbh.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,035
    What about some Fulcrum racing 7 CX - the CX stands for cyclo cross and they supposedly have better sealed hubs so less worry about the bearings over a wet winter.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Right. Grand. I've used RS-10s as all-weather/training wheels for a while. I've replaced/upgraded them to TB14 rims on Ultegra hubs. That's a strong, hard-wearing, smooth rolling, sweet handling and damned dapper looking wheelset. Nothing says winter wheel better than something that looks a bit like a proper 70's/80's Belgian Classics setup, with the convenience of being clincher tyres and wide rimmed. Get those. They'll run you 250-ish, or less with other hubs/less spokes.

A little heavier than your factory options, but 50 quid a rim every few years has to be a bit easier to stomach than paying for the full thing.
  • Buckie2k5
    Buckie2k5 Posts: 600
    Fulcrum 7s are imo the best bang for buck winter/training wheels you can buy.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    To the OP, the ultegra and zonda wheels are so similar they will last about as long as each other and they perform about as well as each other. Given the weight the thickness of the brake track probably means a short life unless like me you won't be braking this winter.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.