What is Super D

cyclingsheep
cyclingsheep Posts: 640
edited October 2014 in MTB general
I'm off back home to NZ for a few weeks and a mate has just told me his local Super D series starts while I'm there. I haven't mtb'd in anger for a very long time as I've been doing mainly road riding (please don't shun me) with a fair bit of cyclocross but I have no idea what Super D is?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    LMGTFY!
    http://mountainbike.about.com/od/fitnes ... _d_faq.htm

Wow that was hard!

Basically sounds like a version of Enduro.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I guess I should've been more specific, I'd read that too. I guess my question is more how 'downhill vs cross country' is it. Do they run Super D in the UK? How helpful is it to be fit over being skilful?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Never heard of it before, but looking at that page (and a few others) its very similar to Enduro, so you need a 4"+ (preferably 5 or 6) FS which is light enough (with the right geo) to pedal uphills, something like a Mega or Pivot Mach5 for example. Haven't looked on youtube yet.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Basically the American word for Gravity enduro.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ilovedirt wrote:
    Basically the American word for Gravity enduro.

Sorry, pretend I haven't heard of anything mtb related for the past two decades :)
  • ilovedirt
    Ah, okay.
    Gravity enduro is a race format whereby you have several "special stages" which are gravity based - can be trail centre descents up to full-on downhill tracks, and sometimes have a climb in the middle. You are timed on the special stages, and have to pedal back up in between (called transfer stages). Your cumulative time at the end is what dictates your overall place. Best bike for the job is 140-160mm travel trail bike.

I've done a few now, and it's a really fun race format, and pretty much represents my day to day riding, but with the fun factor of it being a race :)
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Gravity enduro is wearing goggles with your xc helmet.
  • Thanks for the replies. I suspect there'll be more time lost in the downhill sections than I can make up on the ascents but may give it a crack anyway. Getting a ride in when ever I can and all that
  • ilovedirt
    The ascents aren't timed - you have a time limit, though most of the time (unless you're racing at the top level), if you're late due to mechanical etc. they'll just start you off later. The cumulative times come only from the timed descents (hence gravity enduro)
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    There's usually a time penalty for arriving at a stage late and it's difficult to then get to the next stage on time.
    The last enduro I raced took in some pretty gnarly DH tracks. One of them was carnage for the less experienced riders!
  • From what I've read the Super D doesn't sound that much like a gravity enduro as the whole course is timed, that's what I've read anyway. Asking mate for more info since it was his idea.