Ribble Sportive frame - rather aggressive geometry?

CptKernow
CptKernow Posts: 467
edited October 2014 in Road buying advice
I have had one of these for a few years and I'm looking to get a new frame. I'm pretty happy with the bike overall but just thought I'd like a step up so I know for sure any lack of performance is completely my fault!

I'm leaning towards 'race geometry' as opposed to more relaxed as I tend to ride less than 4hrs and usually go as hard as I can. However, I don't want to end up with a bile too uncomfortable to ride.

Anyway, after a bit of research I'm beginning to think the Ribble geometry on the 'Sportive' is pretty much as aggressive as most of the race frames I'm looking at. e.g. Specialized Tarmac, Canondale Super Six, Cervelo R3 etc. Which, if this is the case I definitely won't want to head down the 'endurance' route.

Here's the Ribble geometry, what do you reckon? Note the 145mm head tube (on the med), that's pretty short isn't it?
Sportive_Geometry.jpg
Note the Sportive 52cm is the same as most brands 54cm.

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    Depends on whether you normally run with your stem slammed or do you have spacers under your stem. It is shorter than the average endurance bike at 145mm.

The Evo Pro Carbon is 165mm on the 52cm, New Sportive Racing is 173.9mm on the Med 53cm. The Gran Fondo is also 145mm on a 52cm.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    You can make any bike have a 'relaxed' geometry by having more spacers under the stem and/or flipping the stem.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • CptKernow
    CptKernow Posts: 467
    Yes, agreed. I run it with a couple of spacers.

Like I said, my reason for asking is I'm looking at new frames and just wanted to get some perspective on whether the bike I'm riding at the moment had 'racing' geometry...

...which it looks like it does.