Should I raise my handlebar height?

anewman
anewman Posts: 70
edited October 2014 in Commuting general
I have a Cannondale Quick CX4 2013 which is a 29er derived Hybrid, in XL frame size. I'm 6'3", around 37" inside leg, a rather hefty 110kg, and not in the best shape fitness wise. I reckon I could probably have done with a XXL if there were one, but there wasn't. This was my first bike purchase in 10 years, the previous being a little used BSO. I ride mainly on cycle paths, including some quite rough tow paths, and up and down some steep hills (they're everywhere in South Wales). My commute is 8 miles one way.

I've previously been riding around with the seat post minimum insertion mark only just inserted, so decided to swap out the seat post for a longer one. Following the guidance I have come across I've adjusted the saddle height, such that I can't get off the saddle if my heel is on the pedal, and adjusted fore and aft dangling a weight off a bit of string from the end of my knee so it meets the end of the crank arm when in a comfortable riding position with crank horizontal. With the original seat post, I believe the minimum insertion mark would now be around 1cm above the frame.

With these adjustments my saddle is now 2.5cm above the handlebar height, and it's currently adjusted as I bought it, i.e. stem angled up, all the spacers underneath. Current stem is 12 degree rise (according to online specs), 110mm long (measured centre to centre). I could probably make do as it is. It isn't particularly uncomfortable or anything. I get a slight lower back ache on longer journeys, which I suspect could be due to leaning down for the handlebars. I was considering changing the stem for a 20 degree rise 130mm long one, e.g. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/deda-nine-mtb-stem/ This should make my handlebars about level with my saddle and increase reach by 6mm. I realise this means I would have to adjust the headset etc too.

Any thoughts :?: :)

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    If it's comfortable for most of your rides then why change it? you'll adapt over time and tone up muscle in your lower back so it'll be better for those longer rides.
    If you're mostly doing longer rides now and it's causing you pain then it may be worth changing.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    edited October 2014
    My bars are about 2" below the saddle height, works for me, in fact they are slammed as low as possible (no spacers under the inverted stem) on purpose.

Fitting a longer stem moves the bars away meaning you have to lean further (all else being equal), so I wouldn't do that!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    Work on your core fitness? Your stomach muscles are probably not supporting your back well enough.