New Frame Choice - Recommendations?

scottbob
scottbob Posts: 3
edited October 2014 in Road buying advice
Here's the challenge:

I'm looking for a new frame (and fork) for around the £1,000 - £1,500 mark to replace my current frame which I've decided is too aggressively shaped. On longer rides I get dreadful neck ache, so I suppose this points me toward more of a sportive machine. I'd still like a lively, responsive ride, but just less uncomfortable.

I'd like it to keep it for years (yes, a bike for life, even!), which rules out fashionable colour schemes, carbon and alu. That leaves me with steel and ti and plain colours.

I'd really like it to be Italian, but my budget seems to stretch only to their carbon offerings. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I just want something that's less of the moment. And ideally made in the country it's based in (not being snobbish, just a little old fashioned). And it has to fit with Campag - my feeling is that frames that look super hi-tech or industrial look great with SRAM, but less good with classic Italian kit.

I'd even entertain the idea of something hand made, but it comes down to £££.

Answers on a postcard please...

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Have you seen the deals on Genesis Volare 953 frames? Come with an Enve fork. Ridiculous vfm at 1200 quid.

Or try going to a reputable bike fitter...
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    legend fedaia now about £1800 and that is for a full custom F&F
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Are Genesis made in the far east? Condor steel frames are made in Italy; you could check out the Accaio and have it any colour you like. You could also look at Rourke and have one made to measure, if you wait.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • I know it's carbon and it's not Italian but I have a Felt Z1 frame set (2013) and it's awesome! Very comfy and at 950g for the frame (56cm) its very light to. You'll defo pick one up within your price range.

http://www.realcycles.com/m37b212s381p6 ... S_GB/16723

http://www.7hundred.co.uk/33842/product ... rbon-.aspx
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    +1 on the bike fit. It might be £100 but you might be OK on the frame you have with a few changes.

No bike is for life - I've had a 653 frame rust through. Sure I could have had it fixed - but a new frame worked out cheaper. Ti cracks too.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Check out some of the custom Casati and Chesini here - a few in your price range.

http://www.comtat.co.uk/custom-made-frames.asp
  • Once I've got the money, I'm pretty certain I'm going to go for a Kinesis GF ti V2. It looks great, its adaptability is insane, and the reviews are all fantastic. I suspect it's manufactured in the Far East, but it's Brit designed.

I'll be putting the Chorus groupset I already own on mine.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,035
    As it's a heart over head purchase why not a steel DeRosa - can be had for he budget, classic colour schemes, Italian, classic make. Not sure about the geometry though.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • They're carbon?
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    They're carbon?

You're right, didn't read the ops brief properly :oops: .
  • janwal
    janwal Posts: 489
    Hi,not new but I've got a 54, GF TI version V1 frameset now have for sale.I've changed to a disc bike.Very good condition about 2 years old and in very good condition.This had very good reviews aswell.Looking for £800 ovno posted from Huddersfield.Can send you pics if interested.Going to post on here in near future.
    cheers
    Jan
  • letap73 wrote:
    They're carbon?

You're right, didn't read the ops brief properly :oops: .

HeHe - we've all been there! :wink:
  • Thanks for all your feedback, everyone. Lots of food for thought. As I hoped, lots of suggestions I'd never heard of, lusted over long ago when thinking they were out of reach. And a few wildcards, too.

Please keep your recommendations coming, but at the moment, I think I'll be planning a trip to Stoke, to see a man called Brian... If you've got any thoughts on that, let me know.
  • Burls Ti

http://burls.co.uk/titanium.php

Worth a look see!
  • Most relaxed geometry and so called "sportive frames" have a design flaw. In order to raise the front end they use a very long head tube... whilst a slightly shorter one with a longer fork blade would be a much better idea, as it would allow you to use a wide range of tyre sizes, instead of the usual 23 mm or 25-with-a-bit-of-luck-might-fit. Of course that would also mean having to use long reach calipers, which are slightly inferior... the solution is to get a disc brake frame, either a cyclocross one or a more road oriented one. There is plenty of choice these days but the new Genesis Equilibrium disc is one of the best in terms of geometry for road use.
    left the forum March 2023
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Not entirely sure why your requirement for a 'frame for life' excludes carbon?
  • DKay wrote:
    Not entirely sure why your requirement for a 'frame for life' excludes carbon?

Absolutely, any frame material, if looked after and not crashed can last a lifetime, just buy ´the best frame for your needs´ regardless of what itś made of.