Winter tyres

Hanners
Hanners Posts: 260
edited October 2014 in Road buying advice
Currently running Veloflex masters as they look the bogs on my hand builts, I've only used them through the summer as I normally run continue 4 seasons in the crap months. Are the Veloflex any good as a winter tyre? Or should I stick to the trusty contis? What do others use through the winter

Comments

• Foolishly went out with my Veloflex Masters on for a wet-ish ride a couple of weeks back - big mistake. Three punctures later I was tearing my hair out. Plus the tan sidewalls are now filthy, so when they do go back on they'll look a lot less old school cool.

My preference is Open Pave for autumn/winter/spring, but I'm running Conti GP4000s at the moment and they're pretty decent too. 4 Seasons another good choice. Avoid Gatorskins or anything similarly hosepipe-esque as, imo, the grip levels aren't anywhere near high enough to inspire confidence in the wet.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I'm an Open Pave fan for their epic grip and the numerous cobbles around here. They seem to have reasonable puncture resistance. That's not something I can say about GP4000Ss - have I ever had a wet ride on them without a puncture? I can't say I remember it if I did.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    Schwalbe Durano's are superb winter tyres - fast, tough and very grippy
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    A friend swears by Durano Plus tyres for the darker months. I tend to use Conti 4 Seasons as a decent all round compromise, albeit an expensive one. I have also run with Michelin Pro 4 Service Course which I found great for my winter commuting - this is in town so I may not be so impressed with a few trips out into the sharpies laden Surrey Hills!

Conti 4000s wouldn't work for me - I used them this summer and really liked them but have concerns about how robust their sidewalls are. Open Pave's I tried one year with fairly disastrous results - they were cut to ribbons albeit I recall there being a particularly nasty day when I took part in a sportive which wouldn't have helped. But I think that all tyres have to face that at some point in their life cycle.

Peter
  • I've been happy with these tyres over recent winters, in descending order of toughness: Conti Gatorskins, Michelin Pro4 Endurance, Hutchinson Fusion3, Vredestein Fortezza Tri Comp. Only ever managed to puncture a Gatorskin once, when it was well worn on the rear wheel. But little grip when you need it in the cold and wet... The Vredesteins handled well and I kept them on through the summer.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Just changed from Conti GP 4 Seasons, which I'd wholeheartedly recommend except for the ridiculous price rise that means you now need to shop around to get it at a half-reasonable price, to Michelin Pro4 Endurance. Looking forward to seeing how they go. They are noticeably more round (section) than the Contis, should be good for handling (on a 23mm wide rim).

The GP4S were brilliant and had seen out many miserable trips on the flint, chalk and gravel strewn roads in the winter but fell victim to a sidewall cut in the middle of nowhere in Portugal (puncture repair sticker and top of fag packet - my riding buddy's!) patched the whole enough to last a further hundred miles.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • CptKernow
    CptKernow Posts: 467
    I'm an Open Pave fan for their epic grip and the numerous cobbles around here. They seem to have reasonable puncture resistance.
    Funny, I've got a 24c set on my winter bike and I found the grip far worse than on my Shwalbe Ultremos I use on my other bike...
  • I'd personally avoid Gatorskins at all costs for winter riding. As hinted at above, awful in the wet/ slippery stuff.

For everything but race tyres, I've ridden Pro 4 Endurance year round for the last few years. I'll never buy another tyre (clincher).
  • 1_reaper
    1_reaper Posts: 322
    Durano plus personally. Used them for two winters over 6,000 miles & two punctures. Not the lightest but I'm more interested I reliability in the winter months
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    As my roadbike only cost me £440 (I'm an MTBer really) I can't justify spending the best part of £80 on a pair of 4 Seasons, but I'd like to replace the stock rubber on my Felt Z95 with something a bit more confidence inspiring, particularly in the wet. Is anything out there offering decent value, say £40-50 a pair in 25mm?
  • northpole
    Great deals can normally be found on the Michelin Pro 4's - well worth a punt in my opinion.

Peter
  • northpole wrote:
    Great deals can normally be found on the Michelin Pro 4's - well worth a punt in my opinion.

Peter

I'd just like to make sure the OP understands the difference between regular Pro4 and Pro4 Endurance :wink:
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    Another vote for Pro4 Endurance, great performance and good value compared to the Continental offerings, although they don't seem to be the most durable tyre out there. After 2000 odd miles, my rear tyre is beginning to square off some. Might get another 750-1000 out of it if I'm lucky!

Not quite in the same league, but still quite decent and half the price are Michelin's Lithion 2.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Cheers, going to try a pair of the Lithions (£25 with tubes, got to be worth a punt).
  • northpole
    northpole wrote:

Peter

I'd just like to make sure the OP understands the difference between regular Pro4 and Pro4 Endurance :wink:

To be fair, I used a set of Pro 4 (not Endurance) for 3 seasons of daily commuting in central London without any issues. If the Endurance version is much hardier, then all the better!

I'd defo shop around and get a set of these over Lithions which were quite recently often given away free when purchasing other tyres!

Peter
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    northpole wrote:
    I'd defo shop around and get a set of these over Lithions which were quite recently often given away free when purchasing other tyres!

Peter

I would choose Pro4 endurance over the Lithions, but they're not a bad tyre all the same. Have you actually tried them? I've been running a set on my winter bike for the past year and they're been fine. They have been well reviewed (here and here, as well as plenty of online shop feedback); I can only suppose Michelin were giving them away (when purchasing their more expensive ranges, that's how I ended up with a set!) because they are an older model.

All depends on the OP's budget, I guess.