New Commute - Kingston to Cannon Street

Squawk
Squawk Posts: 132
edited October 2014 in Commuting general
For a short period I'm staying with a friend in Kingston, so for the last couple of days I've been experimenting (aka, getting lost) on the way to work. I think I've now got it right, but it would be great if one of you regulars could check my route.

http://www.strava.com/activities/204722863

I'm doing this on the hybrid, and have realised a few things.

1. Some people are FAST!!!
2. 15 each way feels great (my standard is 10 from SE London), though I'd want a road bike if this became permanent.
3. Richmond Park on a night is really really dark
4. That hill in Richmond Park is bloomin steep

I think all that is a long way of saying I need to MTFU and train more.

Comments

• go left out of your door through marketplace to the Bridge - follow one way system under railway line staying in left hand lane. Go down the side of Evans and this will take you up to RP. At RP turn left (away from steep hill) take a right at Ham Cross and left again at burger van up past Pen Ponds and Ballet School before taking a right down to Roehampton. Sounds complicated but RP is very easy... you could save 5 mins off your journey.

The rest of it you have the best route
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,328
    go left out of your door through marketplace to the Bridge - follow one way system under railway line staying in left hand lane. Go down the side of Evans and this will take you up to RP. At RP turn left (away from steep hill) take a right at Ham Cross and left again at burger van up past Pen Ponds and Ballet School before taking a right down to Roehampton. Sounds complicated but RP is very easy... you could save 5 mins off your journey.

I'd replace that bit with going under the railway by TGI Fridays, passing the large building site on your left on Skerne Road, straight across the 1st road (Sury Basin) and along the shared path then follow Kings road which is the road that curves right and leads straight to Richmond Park. Avoids a nasty bit of the one way system that people are always trying to change lanes on. Having had a nasty accident along that bit of the one way I do particularly hate it.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    go left out of your door through marketplace to the Bridge - follow one way system under railway line staying in left hand lane. Go down the side of Evans and this will take you up to RP. At RP turn left (away from steep hill) take a right at Ham Cross and left again at burger van up past Pen Ponds and Ballet School before taking a right down to Roehampton. Sounds complicated but RP is very easy... you could save 5 mins off your journey.

I'd replace that bit with going under the railway by TGI Fridays, passing the large building site on your left on Skerne Road, straight across the 1st road (Sury Basin) and along the shared path then follow Kings road which is the road that curves right and leads straight to Richmond Park. Avoids a nasty bit of the one way system that people are always trying to change lanes on. Having had a nasty accident along that bit of the one way I do particularly hate it.

agreed, and i'd hang a right over Putney Bridge which follows a bike route though the Harbour and avoids NewKingsRoad which is a horrible bit of road.
  • Squawk
    Brilliant stuff, cheers guys. I'll try to decipher all that on the map and give it a whirl.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I would also go through Blackfriars (I do) and then take the 1st left up Queens street. Going over the top is a traffic nightmare.
  • Squawk
    Cheers all, this really did save 5 mins. I think most of the saving is in the first mile, but avoiding the hill is nice too.

Only thing I haven't figured out is the reverse journey. I ended up in the one way system at tesco and did a loop because I couldn't see how to peel off to the right safely
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Avoid the one way system by turning right immediately after Kingston Gate, down King's Road, over the roundabout, keep following King's Road down to the Richmond Road junction, over at the lights, and down to Skerne Way round the back of Sainsbury.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,328
    Squawk wrote:
    Cheers all, this really did save 5 mins. I think most of the saving is in the first mile, but avoiding the hill is nice too.

Only thing I haven't figured out is the reverse journey. I ended up in the one way system at tesco and did a loop because I couldn't see how to peel off to the right safely
    If you can get over to the right before then and use the bike lane from the lights before going under the railway. If you don't manage and you're on the left by Tesco jump off and cross the road. If you're on the right indicate clearly and just turn tight onto the island in the middle, they made it shared use so that's acceptable.
    Better is to do as CJCP said and from the Park follow Kings Road all the way down then go behind Sainsbury's and come out by TGI Friday, the reverse of my suggestion for riding in.
  • Squawk
    That's spot on for what I've been doing, great suggestion to go round the back of Sainsbury's. It took the whole lot just a snats under an hour (or 1:15 on the way home today, did everyone in London head to embankment?)