Tyres Tyres Tyres

Sharky999
Sharky999 Posts: 103
edited October 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi folks my head is spinning with the selection out there, currently running a racing ralph and a nobby nic, but looking for some new tyres, I ride trail centres, natural and a bit of rocky and rooty downhill.

Does anyone have any suggestions, I'd be ever greatfull.

Cheers

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    What's up with what you've got?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I'm using Specialized Purgatory Grid 2.35" at the moment. Fast rolling, grippy in all but sloppy conditions and pretty tough. Strangely seems to have improved stability compared to my old Rubber Queens.
  • Sharky999
    What's up with what you've got?

Trouble is I'm no expert so not sure what's quality and what isn't.
    Just checking what else is out there, the natural stuff up my way gets really wet and muddy over winter.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Trust that is Nic up front and Ralph out the back?

What do you feel you are missing out on? I love the Rocket Ron, either up front with a Ralph out back when it's drier or at both ends when it's wetter.

For muddier you want a narrower tyre to dig through to the grip, the Maxxis Beaver gets very good reviews as a winter tyre.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Sharky999
    I told you I'm an amateur,its rocket ron front and back, my previous bike must have been the others.

if what I've got on is just as good as anything else I'd happily go with them again.

I think I'm looking for something for when its wetter and muddier at the back,

Cheers
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If you only change one, you actually want something less slippy on the front not the back.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Agreed, you put the grippier tyre up front.

The only time I vary from that is when cycling the local hills when it's muddy when I use a normal tyre up front where it's best for most the ride and a narrower mud tyre on the back to give me the traction up the hills so I can sit smugly at the top watching my mates push theirs up!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.