Focus Cayo 2.0 or wait?

poacher13
poacher13 Posts: 70
edited January 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi all,
I was thinking of buying the Focus Cayo 2.0 in the sales at the moment at £1399 and was wondering if this would be a good deal to go with or should i hold onto my money and wait for a better deal to come along, not sure if the deals get better as Christmas approaches? Got around £1500 to play with and dont know if at 6' tall with an 89cm inseam if a size large Focus would be okay?
Anyone know any other super deals out there on a similar sort of ride? I see the Supersix is a good price as well but not sure if it would be to racy.
Thanks in advance. :D

Comments

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,034
    I would buy now as once the sale stock has gone it has gone. At just under 6'2 I had an XL though I did fit an 11cm stem instead of the 12 it came with. Thought it was a nice bike, very stable at speed on descents, quite stiff at the front end. Hard to describe the character of a bike and a lot can depend on wheels, stem length etc but compared to the Look 585 I had before the Look was more involving to ride - the Focus was efficient and probably more confidence inspiring at 40mph plus but perhaps the Look felt a bit more racey. It (the Focus) did have wider bars and was a bit taller at the front so that may be down to fit rather than innate character of the bike.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • So you think the large would be good for me then in your experience?
  • DeVlaeminck
    At a guess yes,the XL would be too big for sure and the M only has a 54.3 top tube. That's not to say it'll be spot on what you want but if any Cayo Evo fits you I'd say it'd be the large.

Have you had a bike before you can find the stack and reach for to compare?
  • A Carrera TDF if thats anything to go by, lol.
  • DeVlaeminck
    OK don't think they publish stack and reach for those. I would risk ordering a large, it's a good deal but there are other bikes on offer at the moment. The Cayo Evo is a race geometry without being overly aggressive and reciews well so if you are buying without a test probaly as safe as any - if you have to buy a shorter stem or something that's not a big deal.
  • poacher13
    edited October 2014
    Great, thanks.
    Finger is on the trigger. :D
    Holy crap, job done and paid!! :lol:
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    edited October 2014
    poacher13 wrote:
    Great, thanks.
    Finger is on the trigger. :D
    I'm 5'10" (1.78m) and about 84cm inseam. I've ridden a Cayo EVO rental bike in size M and was happy with it but that gave me a pretty compact reach and aggressive drop. I could have gone with the L and been comfortable on that too. You're significantly bigger than me so I'm be pretty sure you'd find the M too small.

Edit:
    Just realised that while you're 2" taller than me, that all seems to be in the legs so the reach on the M might be okay. However it has a pretty short head tube (135mm IIRC? - I considered buying one so spent some time musing over the geometry) and you'd have a big saddle to bar drop. L looks better.
  • poacher13
    edited October 2014
    Okay, forget the price i said to begin with, its come down another £100 to £1299 now, 35% off, fingers crossed its the right buy.
    http://www.wheelbase.co.uk/bikes/road/mens-road-bikes/focus-cayo-evo-20-c-2014/
  • Loving the look of yours there Matt.
  • Philby
    Philby Posts: 328
    I'm the same height as you with a slightly shorter in-seam (and I think I have long legs :o ) and test rode a large Focus Cayo which fitted me perfectly.

Have to say that Wheelbase offer is amazing. May have to consider getting one myself.
  • plodder73
    plodder73 Posts: 326
    You have noticed its not a standard size compact? That's what put me off.
  • Philby
    Philby Posts: 328

36/28 is the equivalent to 34/27 so should be fine for most hills.
  • plodder73
    plodder73 Posts: 326
    Philby wrote:

36/28 is the equivalent to 34/27 so should be fine for most hills.

You haven't seen me climb! I have a 34/32 which to be fair I have only ever used once but its nice having it there, then its a 27. Its almost a waste of a gear in reality but its a nice comfort blanket.
  • Philby wrote:
    I'm the same height as you with a slightly shorter in-seam (and I think I have long legs :o ) and test rode a large Focus Cayo which fitted me perfectly.

Have to say that Wheelbase offer is amazing. May have to consider getting one myself.
    They told me they have good stock of large at the moment but they are selling well. Strange that the other sizes they have are all at £1999. Fingers crossed it wont be to long before it arrives. :D
  • neluv
    neluv Posts: 1
    The offer is still on and thinking to get one as well:) They only have L size in stock but I think it should fit me as I am 5'11". How did you find it so far? The other option I am considering is the Cannondale 5 105 2015 but not sure if it's worth the extra £350. Thoughts?
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    The Cayo Evo strikes an excellent blend between complience and stiffness and as long as you can live with it's race geometry, it's a great all round bike. I love mine.

Bear in mind that the 2015 Cayo has an all new frame, which is why the 2014 models are currently being offered at such great prices. This may matter to you or not.