Fabric Waterproofing Sprays...?

seajays
seajays Posts: 331
edited October 2014 in Commuting chat
Does anyone ever use any of those fabric waterproofing sprays (thinhgs like Nikwax) on their cycling gear?
Cannondale CAADX Tiagra 2017
Revolution Courier Race Disc '14
My Strava

Comments

• cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    No. Only on things that specifically say to use them to re-proof, otherwise its an expensive waste of time.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • I sprayed a load of Fabsil onto my tent this summer and that transformed it from sieve-like to waterproof. I've never had much success with re-waterproofing clothes with Nikwax.
  • I had good results waterproofing my old backpack with Nikwax. I have better results now that I have a backpack that's properly waterproof in the first place, mind.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Yes, Nikwax Tech Direct works well it makes the rain run off, rather than soak into the material stopping it's breathability (Goretex/Event...).

http://www.tesco.com/direct/nikwax-tech ... 5-7604.prd
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,707
    FocusZing wrote:
    Yes, Nikwax Tech Direct works well it makes the rain run off, rather than soak into the material stopping it's breathability (Goretex/Event...).

This sentence needs better grammar.

Do you mean the soaking of the material stops breathability, or that the Nikwax does?
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    FocusZing wrote:

This sentence needs better grammar.

Do you mean the soaking of the material stops breathability, or that the Nikwax does?

Nikwax-Aftercare-Infographic.jpg

Apologies. It stops the top layer material getting soaked wet, which consequently stops air passing through. With the coating applied the water just runs off allowing it to breath.