Halo Aerorage rims -- Paging Ugo

redvee
redvee Posts: 11,922
edited October 2014 in Commuting chat
Are there wear indicators on these? Online searches don't produce much help. The rim I have currently is 0.63mm between the high and low spot on the rim. Replace asap or safe for another 80 miles?
I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.

Comments

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Not quite sure what you mean by "between the high and low spot" on the rim - are you referring to the amount of worn material? If so, then it's not that useful a guide as no-one knows how much material it started with.

If you can, measure the thickness of the thinnest bit of the rim. I use a "dental" tenth gauge from Fleabay.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • If you wore out 0.6 mm of the rim, it is no longer safe to ride... most rims have around 1.3-1.5 to start with, so you are under 1 mm now
    left the forum March 2023
  • redvee
    If you wore out 0.6 mm of the rim, it is no longer safe to ride... most rims have around 1.3-1.5 to start with, so you are under 1 mm now

Thought as much, hence the post. Riding with gears for a few days till I get the snapped spoke on the other wheel replaced and new Halo rim ordered.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Can't you take this as a wonderful opportunity to get a disc equipped road bike?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    davis wrote:
    Not quite sure what you mean by "between the high and low spot" on the rim - are you referring to the amount of worn material? If so, then it's not that useful a guide as no-one knows how much material it started with.

If you can, measure the thickness of the thinnest bit of the rim. I use a "dental" tenth gauge from Fleabay.

...except Ugo, who knows everyfink! :D
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • redvee
    Can't you take this as a wonderful opportunity to get a disc equipped road bike?

Got one on C2W a few months back. This rim is on the Tricross Single, see the story in the Rants thread.