turbo trainer and using different tyre

ben-----
ben----- Posts: 573
edited October 2014 in Commuting chat
I'm thinking of getting a turbo trainer. I've got an older winter bike which is what I'd use on a turbo trainer but I still don't want to wear the tyre. What do people do so far as turbo trainers and tyres/wheels go? You (I say you, I mean I) want to use an old crappy tyre, or one that's specifically for a turbo trainer. So do you have an old wheel and swap wheels? Or is there some tyre which goes over your current one?; no probably not. What's the best way? Thanks.

Comments

• Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
    I have a bike permanently set up on the turbo, which is the best solution for me, but then I have the space to do that.

Without that luxury, I'd get a second wheel and cassette to use off Ebay or something. Can be the cheapest heaviest thing out there, doesn't matter. The turbo should come with its own skewer to use in the clamps. The only important criteria for the wheel is that it runs as true as possible; an out-of-round wheel will soon drive you insane on a turbo!!

There are special tyres like This Schwalbe One designed for turbo use, but if you get a spare wheel cheap you can wear out all your old tyres first before bothering with a specific turbo one. If you have a decent relationship with your LBS ask them to keep you a selection of the tyres they replace on service jobs. Even if you only get another couple hundred (virtual) miles out of them who cares if they're free?
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    As above, I got a cheap spare wheel, stuck a cassette on it and just pop that on when using the turbo. I do use a turbo specific tyre (Vittoria Zaffiro trainer I think - it's red anyway and therefore guaranteed to make you faster!) only cost me fifteen quid. No idea if there is any real benefit over a normal tyre because I haven't compared the two, but it doesn't seem to slip or heat up, isn't very noisy and I've had no problems over the last year or two with it. Admittedly the turbo only gets used in the depths of winter when I can't get out, so the tyres' not done starship mileage but all good so far.
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • ben-----
    ben----- Posts: 573
    Right, a spare wheel sounds like the thing to do. Great, thanks.