Cube Acid 2015 27.5 or 29er

Martin19681968
Martin19681968 Posts: 63
edited November 2014 in MTB general
Hi
I'm looking at getting a new bike,been looking at a cube acid. Im quite unsure whether to get it in a 27.5 or a 29er. Im 6ft and most challenging trail i do is Dalby Forest red route,just wondered what you guys would go for

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Personal preference would be the deciding factor there. Not everyone likes 29ers but some people love them. Either could be equally good.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Very much this ^^^^^ I've tried 29ers and just don't like the feel of the bigger wheel size ( it wasn't a cheap bike either).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • As said previously - it's personal preference.
    I don't ride too much technical stuff - a lot of my rides are natural trails. Wet and rooty, lots of bumps, very few drops. I also do a few all-dayers (45+ miles).
    When I was test-riding, I didn't feel that the 27.5 offered a lot more than the 26" equivalent - whereas the difference between the 26 and 29er was huge. The 29er suits the riding that I do (and my ability - the large wheel size and full-suspension combo hides my lack of skill).
    However, if I was a regular at a trail centre I may have gone for the 27.5.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • I have the acid 29. for the 1st week it steered like a cow but i think that was more to do with the fact its my 1st bike in 25 years. with minimal practice and a few youtube instructionals i have found hard cornering not to be an issue. its a dream going up hill, fast on the flat and flows beautifully over rough goat track. i have nothing to compare it to but it feels great to ride and looks amazing. i suppose you just get used to what you have.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Very much this ^^^^^ I've tried 29ers and just don't like the feel of the bigger wheel size ( it wasn't a cheap bike either).
    Yeo same here..........when for the small 27 and its very agille
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Either size is fine as it depends on where you ride and personal preference. Both my 29er and 26er are fine for XC riding and red runs at trail parks. I prefer 29er as they suit my XC riding style better but if I wanted to do more jumps and faster handling the smaller wheel size helps.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Smaller wheels are no easier to jump than big wheels. Big wheels actually make whips easier!
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    must just be my extreme skills then !

I find the 29er is not so keen on jumping and most skills of that sort.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I was surprised when I tried one. I really didn't expect it to jump well.
    I have seen a mate clear the pro line at BPW on a Remedy 29, the last gap is 50 foot!
  • Thank you for all the replies. I think i have made up my mind and i'm going to go for a 29er. Also i think i'm going to go for the cube pro ltd
  • Having given it alot of thought i eventually went for a cube ltd race 29er. First ride out only to work and im happy with my choice so far. Saddle is like a piece of wood though,but I'll see how i get on with it
  • Having given it alot of thought i eventually went for a cube ltd race 29er. First ride out only to work and im happy with my choice so far. Saddle is like a piece of wood though,but I'll see how i get on with it

i had the same saddle issue, thought it was going to be the death of me, started to get used to it by the three week mark but i think that was because it had killed most of the nerve endings in my special areas. picked up a charge spoon saddle after feedback from the forum and have now made peace with my arse.

cycle surgery have them cheap at the mo if you are not fussy about the colour.
  • Tarqy
    Tarqy Posts: 14
    I'd have to agree with the cube saddle comments, I've persevered with mine and its not as horrendous with a decent pair of padded shorts but its still not something I could spend more than a few hours on. Roll on pay day for a replacement!
    2015 Cube Reaction GTC SL 27.5
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    I have the acid 29. for the 1st week it steered like a cow but i think that was more to do with the fact its my 1st bike in 25 years. with minimal practice and a few youtube instructionals i have found hard cornering not to be an issue. its a dream going up hill, fast on the flat and flows beautifully over rough goat track. i have nothing to compare it to but it feels great to ride and looks amazing. i suppose you just get used to what you have.

Is it the goat or the track that is rough? Where do you get them?
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • MrJames
    MrJames Posts: 24
    I picked up the Cube LTD 29er 2014 earlier this year and had a lot of fun with it, on single track the 29er can feel a little more clumsy but I found a bit more bravery when attacking technical stuff helps a lot, one thing I would mention is cube seem to like fitting rather cheap tyres that don't stop much going through so might be worth looking into an upgrade at sometime.
  • First proper ride today at Dalby. At first on the fast sharp turns i was running wide (off the track at times). Once i had got used to turning sharper i really liked the bike,it suits me much better than a 26er. I found the back end a little slippy(rapid rob) but it was wet and a lot of leafs on the ground
    But very happy with it after my first ride
  • Coming to this late, I bought an Acid 29er a couple of weeks back as my first bike, and it feels very solid and stable, although I'm not encountering too much rough stuff at this point (soon though!). I've not had any issues with the comfort of the saddle yet, although I've not been out for more than about an hour at a time so far!
  • As mentioned earlier - get rid of the tyres straight away if you are riding regularly. The OEM Rapid Robs are fast, but are useless on anything other than bone-dry trails.
    Better tyres will mean more confidence in handling the bike - in order to get round tighter corners, I find that I have to really lean into them (more so than on a 26" bike). You can't do that if the tyre is going to slide out from under you.

I would stick with the saddle - give it a few weeks and your arse will have toughened up.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)