MTB 26er wheels for a big guy

Donie75
Donie75 Posts: 92
edited October 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi, I'm a road cyclist dabbling in the world of MTBing. I run handbuilt Mavic Open Pro rims with Ultegra hubs on my road bike because I weight around 120kg. I have a Kona Hei Hei 26er that I bought secondhand for a good price. I've upgraded the brakes to the latest Deore and I have the bike running well. The wheels are the only disappointment. The front and rear don't match. I have a nice Mavic crossride on the rear but the front is some generic looking rim.
I'm thinking about buying a set of handbuilt wheels, what is a decent but good value set up?

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Depends on use. What sort of riding do you do?
    Your weight won't be a problem for most wheels.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I used to be well North of 120kg. I run Flows on Superstar Switch and (once my own Superstar build quality issues were resolved at the LBS!) they have been absolutely bombproof on my HT. On my Canyon the stock DT Swiss AM 1900 wheels haven't needed a spoke touching in 2 years, and I'm not exactly delicate. The stock wheels on my roadie have also been spot on with me at 115kg.

Most sensible MTB wheels will be fine.
  • Donie75
    Donie75 Posts: 92
    Thanks for the info, I mainly ride XC/trail centre stuff.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Almost any decent wheel will be fine, lots of options out there depending on your budget but Superstar or Merlincycles is usually where the best deals are at for wheels.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Hope Pro 2 with straight pull spokes (easier to change) with Mavic EX721 rims.

You can order them from Merlin, but you have to phone first.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Mavic EN521 rims, 32 quality spokes and Hope hubs or similar.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd just run what you have, unless you have any specifics in mind? You want lighter/stiffer/stronger?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    EX721 and EN521 are both overkill. I raced downhill on them when I was over 16 stone. They are very strong rims but quite heavy.
    Any decent xc/am rim will be fine.