Straw poll Commuting on country lanes in winter

Samvan77
Samvan77 Posts: 85
edited October 2014 in Commuting general
Hi everyone,

I am about the move house in to the country side adding an additional 10 miles to my daily commute to work each way - RESULT.

Here is the rub - most of it will be on country lanes which I love! But I am not so sure whether this would be a good idea in the dark during winter mornings and evenings. Currently I commute about 10 miles everday on well lit city roads so a major change!

So just to check whether I am out of my mind or not to consider this I was wondering how many other cyclists if any at all commute on country lanes at night?

Comments

• I don't but should be ok as long as you get some proper mega lumen lights front and rear - lights that enable you to see plenty of distance ahead, angled on the road so you don't dazzle oncoming road users of course. People who do country commutes should be along soon to give further advice, else try the commuter chat section as that's far more active
  • snowster
    snowster Posts: 490
    Yes you totally out of your mind for even considering it, but you can have some great fun playing dodge the pothole...
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    I'm pretty much in the same boat as you and wondering the same thing... This morning I got 2 p******s riding down a country lane. The state of the road surface is more of a factor than traffic for me. I don't want to be changing an inner tube in the cold dark wet with all them werewolves, axe murderers and badgers running around.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    All my commute is on country roads - first bit is an A road so not too bad, but then I turn off up a single track road which adds a bit of distance but more importantly, gets me away from the traffic - turns it into a superb ride :)

You do need some good lights for the front - plural ...
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Slowbike wrote:
    All my commute is on country roads - first bit is an A road so not too bad, but then I turn off up a single track road which adds a bit of distance but more importantly, gets me away from the traffic - turns it into a superb ride :)

You do need some good lights for the front - plural ...

is that such a good idea though ? not the good light bit I mean definately have good lights, but I mean having them in plural though placement is probably key to this, but I saw a cyclist yesterday who had dualled up with -plural- lights both strapped horizontally across a flat handlebar, and it effectively mimicked the look in the dark with no other visual clues of how a far away car with lights on would look as they were certainly bright enough for you to think at first glance ok thats just a car.

and on an unlit country road, car in a side road waiting to pull out looks down the road,just sees two lights, thinks oh thats a car thats far enough away looks to be travelling slowly, its safe to pull out, and then realises its actually cyclist whose probably alot closer.

its the first time Ive ever thought, actually one of those lights would have been far better put to use just set to flash.

but fwiw to answer the original question, no I wouldnt, Ill be sticking to lit urban roads as much as possible when its dark
  • slowbike
    Awavey - dual lights looking like car headlights - hmm - yes, you have a point - fortunately where I'm riding it's not an issue as there basically aren't any cars (on the country lanes) and you can't see that far down the road anyway.
    Once I'm on the main road it hasn't seemed to affect cars because those coming up behind don't see, there aren't any waiting to pull onto the road and those coming towards me are put off from overtaking because there is another vehicle approaching (whether they think it's a car or a bike doesn't matter - they just don't)

The desire for dual lights is twofold - one you can have one "on beam" to shine further down the road whilst the other fills in and the second is that you have a backup.
    I don't set one to flash unless in traffic when I want to ensure I've been seen from in front - quite frankly that doesn't matter on my commute - but has in town when I start encountering more vehicles going in disparate directions.
  • mherby
    mherby Posts: 4
    I regularly add an additional 10-20 miles of unlit country road commuting onto my ride home, use a couple of the chinese mega lights up front so I can see where I'm going and have a moon shield, fibre flare and light on my helmet to cover the back. Never had an issue with hitting anything I couldn't see, in fact during the winter cars give me more room because they see the lanes light up and think it's a car coming around the corner so wait for me to pass. Most of the time I cycle with a colleague who has an almost identical light setup and we get given even more room when there are 4 x 1000 lumen lights going down the lanes. I love the unlit part of my journeys, the crap part of my commute is when it gets back into town, I tend to point the lights towards the ground when getting into town so as not to blind/annoy people .
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I cycle almost exclusively on country lanes on my 12 mile each way commute and have done for 5 years, all throughout each Winter.

It's not a problem. Just get some good lights front and rear, quit worrying about looking like a flipping car. The lights are close enough together to look like a single bright light.

You're missing the key points about cycling in the countryside during Winter:

Have extra layers available
    If you get a puncture you will cool quickly - have something available to put on while sorting the bike. For crying out loud: make sure you have the equipment to sort road side repairs.

Reflectives are VERY effective on dark lanes, get some spoke reflectors for side on visibility. I also use ankle reflectors as the movement gets you noticed.

Ice - you'll get ice hanging around a lot longer when away from urban hot spots and the temperature drops NOTICEABLEY when you leave the houses behind. So while you may feel comfortable as you leave, you will cool.

Tyres - I have spiked tyres on my 3rd bike for the very worst days, but I used them twice last year. The rest of the season I used my 4 Seasons without an issue.

My experience has taught me a few things:

You get more space in the Winter. Your bright lights (you will have bright lights and keep them charged) deter drivers from getting too close. It just works like that.

Sixpence the bends, don't go into them at the same speed as normal. You will tumble.

Read the road more carefully. Look for shiny bits, ride through them vertically, and stay in the inside vehicle lines more actively so you can avoid the debris.

Honestly - it's not hard. The freezing cold mornings when you get the low lying morning mist are utterly sublime.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Cheer guys! Thanks for all the good advice, i feel even more inspire now.

Regarding lights- I currently have a Cateye Nanoshot 200 lumens head front light. I am thinking of replacing it with two of these http://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/pro ... /id/399465

or instead one of these

http://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/pro ... /id/399466

What are your thoughts?
  • Samvan77 wrote:
    Cheer guys! Thanks for all the good advice, i feel even more inspire now.

Regarding lights- I currently have a Cateye Nanoshot 200 lumens head front light. I am thinking of replacing it with two of these http://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/pro ... /id/399465

or instead one of these

What are your thoughts?

Out of the two I'd go for the higher lumen one...but to be honest I'd be looking at 800 lumens and above for unlt country lanes. And definately have a bright secondary front and rear light set to flash mode
  • I ride on country lanes too, 8 miles each way is the shortest route but can extend it. I agree with Kieran, you can get too risk averse just be sensible. Decent tyres will minimise the chances of punctures and good lights are essential. I've got an Exposure strada front light which is expensive but transforms the ride and I've stopped using a backup light which maybe a bit risky. No idea what the lights in your link are like. Chinese lights from DX.com are good but beam patterns can be a bit random, look for orange peel reflectors which improve matters.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Just to add by the way... my list of "I want to be seen" kit when cycling in the Winter:

Passive:
    Altura Nightvision jacket (yellow)
    Hump rucksack cover (yellow)
    3M reflective ankle straps (yellow)
    3M spoke reflectors

Active:
    Magicshine MJ808e
    Hope Vision 2
    Hope District 3
    Cateye LD1100

Other kit:
    GP 4 Seasons / Marathon Winters
    SKS chromoplastic 'guards with reflective stripes
    2 spare tubes, pump, multi-tool

Lots of clothing with the words: goretex, thinsulate, fleece in them
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • slowbike
    That Nanoshot is a good light. I would definitely keep that on your bike - you can always undersling it. That can run in flash mode when on lit roads and be your backup if you other light(s) die.

Of the ones you've linked too, I've no idea how much they are - but as previously said, I'd want 600lumens for a regular country lane commute. I have the nanoshot+ and that's superb (600 lumens) although I try to ride with it on 1/2 power most of the time, full power is reserved for bad visibility or tricky lanes. My wife has the newer Cateye Volt 700 and that's good too although I don't like the switch between modes.

I've also got cheap Cree torches from DX.com that is as bright as the Cateyes, but not as reliable - mine are prone to dodgy connections and they don't give you an idea of battery power remaining. I'd ride in the dark on one cateye, but would want 2 crees.
  • Samvan77 wrote:
    Cheer guys! Thanks for all the good advice, i feel even more inspire now.

or instead one of these

What are your thoughts?

Out of the two I'd go for the higher lumen one...but to be honest I'd be looking at 800 lumens and above for unlt country lanes. And definitely have a bright secondary front and rear light set to flash mode

Cool thanks for the advice!
  • Just to add by the way... my list of "I want to be seen" kit when cycling in the Winter:

Passive:
    Altura Nightvision jacket (yellow)
    Hump rucksack cover (yellow)
    3M reflective ankle straps (yellow)
    3M spoke reflectors

Active:
    Magicshine MJ808e
    Hope Vision 2
    Hope District 3
    Cateye LD1100

Other kit:
    GP 4 Seasons / Marathon Winters
    SKS chromoplastic 'guards with reflective stripes
    2 spare tubes, pump, multi-tool

Lots of clothing with the words: goretex, thinsulate, fleece in them

That is a good set up!
  • I have a 30 mile RT commute on quiet country lanes & it is absolutely fine. In fact I think it is safer in pitch darkness as with 4 lights motorists will see you from a really good distance.

You need really good lights & as I do night-time MTBing I have really powerful ones. 200 lumens is not enough on unlight country roads. I have an Exposure Joystick on my helmet with the very bright "red eye" rear light. An Exposure Max D on the bars so I can light up the road & see everything - obviously dip the beam when a car approaches. And another rear facing flashing rear light.

I much prefer quiet country roads & can't wait to get off any main roads with traffic.
    Winter commuter: Planet X London Road
    Winter road bike/commuter: Specialized Langster
    Best road bike: Planet X RTD90
    MTBs: Giant XTC 650B / On-One C456 singlespeed
    TT bike: Planet X Stealth
  • slowbike
    mudslinger wrote:
    I have an Exposure Joystick on my helmet
    My pet hate !!

I've tried it as a user and I can see some of the benefits, but TBH, on road you do not need a light on your helmet.

As another road user (ie driver) a light on the helmet is soooo off putting, if powerful they have a tendancy to blind you when the rider looks in your direction, eitherway they're bobbing about which is just disorientating and it takes a while to work out just wtf is going on.

Off road I can see the full advantage ... :)
  • pollys_bott
    pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
    I love riding out in the countryside after dark, so much so that I've extended my commute to take in more of it. As others have said, what cars there are give you so much more room (not that most of them don't during the day anyway) that I prefer it to daytime commuting; and without sounding all mystic there really is a certain je ne sais quoi to it...

Lights-wise I have a pair of Moon XP300s on the bars and a Blackburn Flea on flash mode on the helmet, a Moon Shield on the seatpost, rear Flea on helmet, Smart Lunar 1 on side of pannier - makes me look wider so I get given even more room.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/moon-x-power-30 ... light-set/

... is a veritable bargain and the XP300s by themselves are now around for less than £40. Planet X are doing a cheap copy of the Shield.

Clothing - merino wool baselayers are the mutt's nuts, skull cap for the frosty mornings, jacket with lots of reflective bits on, winter tights / bibs etc etc

Try not to cr@p yourself the first time a rabbit / fox / badger / deer shoots out in front of you... :lol:
  • Things to be aware of on country lanes. Hedge cutting time is puncture time and because the road surface can be sheltered from the sun you can get caught out by patches of ice when it has thawed everywhere else.
  • Drew123
    Drew123 Posts: 61
    Go for it. The only part of my commute that I dislike in the dark winter months is the mile closest to work which is on urban roads. The other 6.5 - 11 miles depending on which route I take are quiet country lanes and I feel safer on them in the dark than I do in the light.

I've winter commuted for the last 3 years and you do get to know the roads and where the lumps / bumps and potholes are - so if you can do your new route a few times before the lights change it'll stand you in good stead.

I use a Cateye opticube 600 lumen which is fine for the job. I keep my old 200 lumen Cateye in my saddle bag as a backup ( check the charge each week or it's useless as a backup!).

On a 45 min commute I don't get too cold - just my fingers... Never found a decent solution for this, but I have had to walk 2 miles after puncturing twice one evening so be prepared. Used to get cold toes too, but overshoes (cheap Planet X ones ) fixed that.

Ice is the big watch-out. I've only had one off which was on a shaded corner on a cold, bright morning when the sunlit roads had all cleared, but as long as you're sensible you should be fine. For reference I use Conti 4 seasons.

Good luck and have fun!