Which budget road bike

Philjr1967
Philjr1967 Posts: 3
edited October 2014 in Road buying advice
On a tiny budget and need to get a bike sorted quick. Only got £ 500.00 budget ( don't laugh) so looking at clearance and demo or second hand.Need for endurance not racing, 2 rides a week, 30 miles plus and maybe a sportive or two next year .
So far appear to have a choice between Mekk Pinerelo AL1.5 Tiagra or Vitus Zenium.

What you think? Had much more impressive plans but unforeseen circumstances have meant my budget has been slashed! Was looking at cycle to work scheme, so sold my bike then employer had a last minute chance of mind and decided not to offer it!

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Comments

• metronome
    metronome Posts: 670
    tick - tick - tick
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    Is that £500 for just the bike or do you need other stuff such as lid etc as well.

If you can hunt around for a decent specced allez or similar thats second hand worth a goer, loads of bargains to be had at the moment for last years models.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    £500 new is a tight budget - albeit there are some decent options around (plenty of previous threads on such matters).

£500 secondhand is a decent budget to work with and should enable you to pick up a carbon road bike with Shimano 105 or equivalent SRAM, Campag groupsets (if that's what you are looking for).

Peace of mind versus better quality bike and only you can decide where you lie with this debate. Depends whether you know what you are looking for. For me, it's secondhand at that budget but then I think that I am sufficiently experienced to judge the value and condition of a bike. You may feel otherwise.
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    You could do a lot worse than this at a penny under £300. I am seriously considering this as a 2nd / winter bike - I live close by to the shop, I went to see it in the flesh and it looks & feels significantly better in real-life, the pics really don't do it justice.
    It would also leave some pennies free for other kit if needed. 8)
    http://www.merlincycles.com/merlin-performance-road-pr7-bike-73113.html
    Cycling weakly
  • Cannot find anything second hand , only need a 50cm frame.

Had a couple of people say the Mekk Pinerolo is a steal for £480.00 and would be good bet. Thoughts?
  • I had a tinier budget and plumped for a Vitus Razor VR (should get it tomorrow!) Somebody here pointed me at the Felt F85 which was tempting but a bit over budget when I factored in everything else I needed, might be worth a look for you though - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/felt-f85-tiagra-2014/
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Some 40% discount deals on GT road bikes at Pro Bike Kit. I got GTR series 4 for just over 350 quid. I like it - nice frame, carbon forks. I've upgraded the brakes & tyres but really like the microshift shifters.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    The current issue (Nov) of Cycling Active has a review of budget bikes.

The winner (91% score) was the Calibre Stat (?no me neither?) but that is above your budget at £650. However the Merlin PR7 scored 90% and it only costs a gnat's tadger under £300

http://www.merlincycles.com/merlin-perf ... 73113.html

Might be worth a thought and save yourself £200 for other kit or a wheel upgrade
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    skyd0g wrote:
    You could do a lot worse than this at a penny under £300. I am seriously considering this as a 2nd / winter bike - I live close by to the shop, I went to see it in the flesh and it looks & feels significantly better in real-life, the pics really don't do it justice.
    It would also leave some pennies free for other kit if needed. 8)
    http://www.merlincycles.com/merlin-performance-road-pr7-bike-73113.html

OOOOOOps

Sorry didn't notice the Merlin had already been flagged up