Does a more expensive helmet = safer?

schlepper
schlepper Posts: 29
edited October 2014 in Road beginners
I'm not looking to get into pros and cons of helmets.

I'm going to be wearing one, I'm just trying to figure out whether spending more money on one makes it safer for me. Or if there are other benefits to the more expensive helmets such as weight and aerodynamics.

I'm buying my 1st roadbike, all I care about is safety. Cycle Surgery are doing a 50% off deal on Giro's, with the Ionos at £79.99.

Or, am I just as well served with a Spec Echelon II at £49.99.

The salesman at Cycle Surgery said more expensive meant better polysterene & shell that could stand up to the helmet being hit a few times in one accident. Cheaper helmets can only sustain the initial impact, crack and provide limited further protection. To be clear - this is all in one accident ie I know if you take a tumble and hit your helmet, you get a new one.

Comments

• navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    Depends on so many factors so, in my view, as long as you buy a reputable brand which conforms to the relevant ISO standards then price is largely irrelevant especially between £49 and £79.

You may find better safety provision in a £149 helmet compared to a £29 helmet but, even then, it will depend on the nature of the incident/accident.

At the budget you have set I would gor for fit and look rather than assume more expensive means safer.

Other factors - fit, how mych advertising they do, how much pro-sponsorship they do (it all has to be paid for), shape pf your head, what you hit with your head and so on.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    I would not expect a more expensive helmet to be safer. They are all testedd to the same set of criteria and I've never seen anything to suggest more expensive helmets exceed these requirements. If that was the case you can be sure it would be mentioned in the marketing.

More expensive helmets are typically more expensive because they use more exotic materials and more complex manufacturing methods to achieve greater levels of ventilation, make them more aestheticly pleasing (maybe more aero) and reduce weight while still meeting the required safety standards. The cheapest helmets are basically just a moulded foam bowl with straps and a vac formed plastic shell glued on. If you want to make lots of holes in the foam you need to start adding a more substantial structural element or elements to maintain the functionality of the basic version. This can be anything from a more substantial external shell to a chasis built from carbon, aluminium or other materials within the foam.

Incidentally, I reckon a rounded helmet will be much safer than one with protrusions like the typical "fins" and aero shaping at the top and rear of many helmets. It's often argued that under certain circumstances helmets can make injuries worse if they increase rotation of the head causing blood vesels to be ruptured between the skull and brain. I would think any protrusions that might catch on the ground will exacerbate this risk. Expensive helmets tend towards these features more than cheaper helmets so in that respect at least, many expensive helmets may be less safe. Bear in mind this is just my non-expert personal opinion.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    No.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If the more expensive one fits you better, then yes, it could well be safer. If not, probably not.

If it fits you better then you are more likely to wear it/enjoy wearing it/enjoy your rides.
    A more expensive helmet should also be lighter and better ventilated too. This will also add to your riding enjoyment ;-)

People who whinge about wearing a helmet because it is hot and heavy probably have a cheap helmet.
    Its called 'natural selection' :lol:

Is safety your only consideration? Surely you want it to look good too lol.
    Get the one you like the look of the most :wink:
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Like most bike parts what changes as they get more expensive is the materials and manufacturing techniques.

With helmets this usually equates to better fit, comfort, ventilation and lower weight.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Several years ago I saw a test of about 50 different helmets from all price ranges. Unfortunately I can't remember where I saw it. Due to the better venting and comfort (more vents, lighter weight = less protective material) most of the expensive versions were only average. Too hard to make any broad generalisations though without scientific testing but the mid-priced lids were often the best. If you really want the best protection go with one of the more full coverage types like skateboarders use and some bike mfrs have similar versions. Of course they will be heavier and hotter so take your pick. http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=ska ... &sp=-1&sk=
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    I wear those helmets skiing at temperatures as low as -25 degrees and they keep my head warm. The thought of wearing one on a warm day up a long climb stews my mind, as would the helmet.
  • Thanks for all the views, which can be simply summed as 'probably not'.

Does make me slightly concerned about other sage words of wisdom from the salesman, but I suppose he has got a job to do.
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    How safe a helmet can be , you can see yourself: the more it looks like a big mushroom around your head, the safer.
    The more holes the less safe.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    They all have to meet safety standards so just find one you like that fits well and you like the look of. Just remember the more expensive ones like other things in road biking are just there to meet a price point people are willing to pay for.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Carbonator wrote:
    People who whinge about wearing a helmet because it is hot and heavy probably have a cheap helmet.
    Winner of the award for the stupidest comment so far.

Wanders off wondering what the point of this forum is these days if this is the level of response to a perfectly reasonable question. :roll:
  • Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    CiB wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:

Wanders off wondering what the point of this forum is these days if this is the level of response to a perfectly reasonable question. :roll:

Have to say that I have had a lot or really good advice off Carbonator on here in the last 15months since I bought a road bike, but I did think that too when I read this... :?
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Fit - it's all about the fit. Everything else is irrelevant. If it fits then you stand a significantly better chance of it doing it's job. Get the one that fits the best.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Expensive helmets have more air and less helmet.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    MichaelW wrote:
    Expensive helmets have more air and less helmet.
    The less helmet is typically replaced with additional structures however as the helmet still needs to meet the required standards. So although your comment is generally correct it doesn't really tell you much regarding safety.
  • Anonymous
    Schoie81 wrote:
    CiB wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:

Have to say that I have had a lot or really good advice off Carbonator on here in the last 15months since I bought a road bike, but I did think that too when I read this... :?

What do you not like about the comment (I had already answered the original question sensibly before making that comment)?
    The first bit is probably true, and the natural selection bit is a fair enough joke at the expense of people who would rather not wear a helmet than spend money on one light and ventilated enough for them to be happy to wear.

It was making a valid point of why some helmets are more expensive I thought.

Would ultimately hope the comment persuades people that its sensible to wear a helmet and make the effort to get a comfortable one. That in a roundabout way seems to be giving good advice.

Glad to have been some help previously anyway schoie.
    Normal service will resume shortly :wink:
  • CiB
    Carbonator wrote:
    What do you not like about the comment (I had already answered the original question sensibly before making that comment)?
    The first bit is probably true, and the natural selection bit is a fair enough joke at the expense of people who would rather not wear a helmet than spend money on one light and ventilated enough for them to be happy to wear.
    As you need to ask, I'll expand.

This:
    Carbonator wrote:
    is the most tedious smug cliché from the many many many helmet debates that have come & gone on here, exhibiting the self-satisfied dismissal of those who've read the arguments and the websites and know from years of experience that actually y'know cycling isn't that dangerous but if I have to wear a helmet occasionally to keep OH happy or to fit in with some organiser's or insurer's insistence on wearing a bit of plastic to enter some event, I will.

Choosing not to wear one, or choosing to buy some standard helmet off the shelf doesn't actually equate to worrying about what a helmet might do my the barnet or much how hotter it might make us. It means that helmets are meh, based on the aforementioned looking into it and years of surviving without one. And the clincher - "it's called natural selection" (you should have used it's not its btw; abbreviation not possessive) is so up yourself that it triggered a reaction on my part. For natural selection read dimwit, idiot, Neanderthal etc, someone not likely to remain part of the human race, for failing to buy into the safety industry's efforts to sell us expanded polystyrene at £80 a pop or we'll die.

Helmets aren't a clear-cut decision; lobbing your snide cheap insults about at people who happen to have thought it through and come to a different conclusion is smug, unhelpful and the reason why I originally replied in the way I did. Claiming that some opinion you made up is 'probably true' and that natural selection is a fair joke at people who hold a perfectly valid different view makes you look worse. ('worse' replaces a few other choice words that I've chosen not to use btw).

Wear your hat and enjoy being fleeced for £150 if you believe it makes much difference. I'm happy not to wear one, or to wear one if necessary.
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    +1
    This moral superiority thing is really disgusting.
    I feel really sorry for those who distinguish themselves by putting a piece of polystyrene on the head.

BTW most of my rides I have something on the head but have no illusion of safety about it.
  • Anonymous
    OK. I apologise for the natural selection thing if anyone feels I am saying they are some sort of retarded Neanderthal.
    I do not feel at all morally superior either.

Not sure why I am being fleeced for £150 (or even the £70 I paid for my £150 helmet). Someone is making something, and I am choosing t buy it. How am I being fleeced?

I am also under no illusion about the safety of it. I perfectly understand that if I hit my head hard (as people I know have, and I could easily do) I will be much better off wearing a helmet.

The comment was made due to people coming up with bull5hit reasons for not wearing one, when there is probably a way around the heat/weight issues.
    It was just answering the OP's question in that if you are more likely to wear a helmet, then yes, it is safer.

If people do not want to wear one then thats fine by me, but on their head be it.
    Why are you anti helmet wearing guys even reading this thread? 8)
  • CiB
    Carbonator wrote:
    It was just answering the OP's question in that if you are more likely to wear a helmet, then yes, it is safer.
    While I'm here for a minute, that's a neat bit of goalpost shifting there. The question was is a more expensive helmet safer.

And the reason some of us contribute to these discussions is that one day some halfwit MP is going to try to make a name for himself by trying to make helmets compulsory, and if he's able to point to countless online discussions where helmet wearing is 100% supported that's one little hurdle crossed without opposition. It's also fair to point out to newcomers that cycling is incredibly safe compared to a lot of other activities and doesn't warrant a helmet for every single ride. You're welcome to think it is necessary to don a crash hat & goggles everytime you venture out. Some of us don't, and are happy to share that with others who may even believe that it's a legal requirement.

Over & out. OP posted a question about expensive helmets. It's become a helmet debate. I'm out.
  • This is an interesting original question.
    I think the cheapest of my 3 lids has excessive material so it can be cheaply made whilst meeting standards. I think that may be of some marginal benefit over my blingy S-Works one which is designed to shave every bit of weight whilst meeting minimum standards.
    I also feel a bit more comfortable still using the cheapy one after it has been dropped or knocked around at work after a Winter commute.

Alternative thought is that a more expensive lid will likely fit better and surely a better fitting lid will be safer?