Which downhill bike should I buy?

JayVB
JayVB Posts: 2
edited October 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hey all

I'm selling my current All-Mountain bike in order to purchase a freeride/DH bike, and I'm just looking for some advice as I found very few reviews on some of the bikes I'm looking at. My price range is limited to about £2800.

Currently I'm looking at:

Nukeproof Pulse DH Pro 2014 - £2,799 on CRC

Nukeproof Pulse DH Comp 2014 - £2099 on CRC

Specialized Status II 2014 - Cheapest I found was around £2500

I'm mostly looking at purchasing one of the two Nukeproofs, however I found next to no reviews on the Comp, is there an overwhelming difference between the Pro and the Comp?

I'm not going to be riding anything particularly hard or rough, just standard DH/FR tracks, so would the Comp be good enough for something like that?

Any information on the bikes would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    What's a standard dh/fr track if it's not particularly rough or hard?
    If you're racing then go for the Pulse Pro, it takes some setting up but there's nothing which will hold you back in a race.
    Riding for fun the comp will be more than up to the job. The fork is slightly less adjustable but unless you're smashing nasty trails at speed you are unlikely to notice the slightly lower quality damping. The shock on the comp is perfectly good. Transmission is ok on both and doesn't make much difference when you only make a couple shifts in a run.
    Brakes are a bit ropey on both, but work ok.
    I would save a little cash and go for the Scalp. Bombproof frame and to ride it feels exactly the same as the Pulse, it's only half a pound heavier and doesn't have wheelbase adjustment. Other than that it's all styling. With the saving you could get some Shimano Zee brakes and a few good uplift days.
    http://www.ubyk.co.uk/nukeproof-scalp-bike-2014/15818
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,620
    Are you just looking at those 3 bikes or would you consider others in the same price range?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]