Budget shoes for flats

bj639
bj639 Posts: 76
edited October 2014 in MTB buying advice
Right my learned friends :D

I am hoping to get some cheap shoes suitable for flats.

I currently ride in some hole ridden old trainers, which are comfy enough but I am out 4 times a week (mainly roads) and my feet are getting soaked through and a stiffer sole would be welcomed.

Are there any waterproof (or at least water resistant shoes worth looking at?)

Chain Reaction are throwing an extra 10% voucher my way and have some around the 30-35 mark but I am happy to try Aldi or Tescos if theres a bargain, moneys tight so a £20 pair that gets me through winter until I have more money is fine

I know 5 tens are the go to for many people but they are not so great in the wet by the sounds of it?

Can SPD shoes be used with flats?

Comments

• Have a look in sports direct for some skate shoes, or atleast online, they will be stiffer soles and also gripper. They often have some donnay shoes around the £10 mark. Id then have a look on ebay or amazon e.t.c for some sealskinz socks that again are often around £10. These will keep your feet dry, but more importantley warm! Youll probably be looking for the mid length socks or footbal style socks (which ive seen come up cheaper more often). And SPD's cant be used with flats, they need Spd pedals and cleats.
  • bj639
    Thanks mate will see what they have dunno how water resistant skate shoes are!

I wear woolie boolies so warmth isnt an issue though after 3 years abuse i could do with some new ones.

What i mean about using spd shoes is if you can use them without the cleats on flats as i believe the cleat is recessed?

Just there seems to be a few spd ones thsg might suit at my price!
  • No shoes at this price or any are really that waterproof. Even my Teva links reduced to 40 arent that waterproof. Just depends on the type of material used to how resistant they are, plasticy comapred to seuade finish would be better.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Sportpursuit and Evans have had Teva Links for £30-40 recently. I just recieved my pair from SP and they seem good. Maybe not as grippy as my old Sombrios, but grippy enough and very comfy. The waterproof thing is weird, at least compared to my other shoes: they seem to let in water very easily but don't become sodden like my Shimanos or Sombrios eventually do. I look forward to not having to let them sit 3 days if I want dry shoes this winter.

As above too: SPD shoes are absolute rubbish (pretty much the worst possible kind of shoe) on flats. The soles are too stiff and narrow, and the rubber too hard.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Try and stretch your budget and get the Shimano AM41 - grippy, pretty well waterproof (obviously if you stand in a puddle then it's going in over the ankles!), warm enough in winter with a pair of Woolie Boolies or similar, cool enough in summer.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • bj639
    Try and stretch your budget and get the Shimano AM41 - grippy, pretty well waterproof (obviously if you stand in a puddle then it's going in over the ankles!), warm enough in winter with a pair of Woolie Boolies or similar, cool enough in summer.

well I was all set to hit sports direct but those are decent looking!think I can get for £48 but off to shop around