Things I have learned from PTP

alanp23
alanp23 Posts: 696
edited October 2014 in Pro race
Despite hanging around in this forum for a few years, this is the first year that I have been brave enough to do the PTP. Its been a roller coaster and has left me rooting for riders on some days, that I don't really want to win, as it gives me some grubby points.

Anyway, here are some lessons that I have learnt.

Don't pick Sky riders. They always fall off. Thomas in P-N. Froome in Dauphine and TDF.
Don't Pick Wiggo - He wont turn up. (except when you don't pick him, then he will quite deliberately ride to win, just to spite me)
Germans are great (Kittel, Degenkolb and Martin). They never let me down.
Kwiatkowski is not a flash in the pan. Just because he just won, doesn't mean that I shouldn't choose him the next day. I spent all year consistently not picking him.
Nairo Quintana, I forgive you for the Vuelta for all the delicious points you earned me in the Giro.
Cav, I want to pick you. I really do. It kills me to pick Kittel. (Cheers for Milan San Remo though)
Fabian, Mr dependable. Always a safe solid pick. (Well except for the WC)

And step forward Mr Daniel Navarro. My best ever day in the PTP where I just knew... I just knew he was going to win that Vuelta stage.
And finally Mr Valverde who taught me that I will pick whomever I think will win, despite their history. (I feel dirty)

Finally, thanks to all the people who collated the scores and looked after all the races. I really enjoyed the competition despite the frustration of the crashes some days and resultant lack of points. I know it couldn't happen without you all. Special nod to Macaloon and his daily stats.
Top Ten finisher - PTP Tour of Britain 2016

Comments

• ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    I had a similar 'best ever day' in 2009 when I knew...I just knew, that Garate was going to win up Ventoux.

Just enjoy it, it doesn't happen very often (to me anyway!)
    Half man, Half bike
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Ridgerider wrote:
    I had a similar 'best ever day' in 2009 when I knew...I just knew, that Garate was going to win up Ventoux.

Just enjoy it, it doesn't happen very often (to me anyway!)

We know the reason why Jeremy...

My first PTP season too, learned a lot and got a win last weekend with Danielo Martino. Top man. Agree on never picking Cav any more.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    Y'all know you're going to be back picking EBH for San Remo before you know it ;)
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Y'all know you're going to be back picking EBH for San Remo before you know it ;)

Nah. My money will be on Gerrans or Kwia I suspect.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,583
    I've learned that there are days with obvious winners - stick with the obvious winner as your 'just to be different' pick means you lose ground on everyone else. Then there are days with no obvious winner but everyone else's random pick is less random than mine!
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Refreshing OP, good stuff.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • I have learned that if you pick Cav he doesn't win.

I have learned that if you don't pick Cav he does win. True fact.

I have learned that Cadel Evans is often a trusty pick for some solid if not outstanding points in those 'could be anyone days' in a GT.

I have learned that if I hadn't spent August killing myself in the Dolomites, had less work in September and thus paid more attention to PTP I could have been an Andreas Klöden instead of doing a Richie Porte in a GT (initially shine brightly in the top 10 only to finish somewhere in the mid-20s).

I have learned that you can do really well in the Tour du Suisse just by looking at the rider lists and profile without ever watching a stage or following the results. I'm not sure what that says about the Tour du Suisse.

I have learned that in GTs it pays to often go with the herd and to be mindful of where you are on the leaderboard and the picks of your rivals. This often requires playing chicken with your pick and cut-off times.

I have learned that running the PTP for a grand tour can be really fun so I thoroughly encourage you to volunteer.

I have learned that I will probably not be able to woman the PTP for the Tour de France next year...
    Correlation is not causation.
  • My favourite days for PTP are when there's no obvious pick for the day, then 3 or 4 picks get into the break that's clearly going to the finish.

That's when you see those pickers really keen on the spoiler thread, as "their man" is up there.

I have learned that not picking Kittel for Scheldeprijs and forgetting the TOB had started were both mistakes
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    What I have learnt from picking and running certain races is that there are two types of players, like there are two types of riders. The first is the playing the long game, limiting their losses by choosing the obvious picks out the ones who will score consistent points if the stage follows the plan. Others are out for the glory of a stage win by pulling off an audacious break and are content with the odd bit of glory and will dine out on these maverick picks.

I am firmly in the latter camp, especially when the PTP starts poorly for me, just like in the tour de France when I then took two solo stage wins ;)
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    mr_poll wrote:
    What I have learnt from picking and running certain races is that there are two types of players, like there are two types of riders. The first is the playing the long game, limiting their losses by choosing the obvious picks out the ones who will score consistent points if the stage follows the plan. Others are out for the glory of a stage win by pulling off an audacious break and are content with the odd bit of glory and will dine out on these maverick picks.
    Every year I start out vowing that this year I'm going to be the first type. I rarely make past Paris-Nice without getting bored though and revert to type two.
    Twitter: @RichN95