Post commute bike care

2»

Comments

• monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,881
    How do you clean the cleaning apparatus?
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    edited October 2014
    monkimark wrote:
    How do you clean the cleaning apparatus?

I have a very emotional Unicorn... they are washed in its tears....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    I've had little bits of rust appearing on pedals and chain a few times after a wet commute so I go for a liberal spray of GT85 after any particularly wet ride just to displace the water.
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    I wipe down my bike with distilled Unicorn tears
    I use raw tears myself, I find the distilling process loses most of the goodness.
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Always best to make sure. The cloths are of course made from unbleached GM free bio-neutral organic vegan friendly cotton
    You don't use angels' wings? That's tantamount to neglect that is, you cruel man.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    mpdouglas wrote:
    When I was more into motorbikes, I became aware that quite a lot of guys "winterize" their bikes. They essentially spray them in a Waxoyl type coating and just leave them to get filthy over the winter. They then steam clean the filthy Waxoyl off in the spring.
    I used to use ACF50 on my Ducati and it kept everything lovely through a few winters. If it can keep one of them pristine I'm sure it will work on a bicycle. You wouldn't want it on any braking surfaces though. You'd have to reapply after cleaning the drivertrain too.

Was trying to think of what it was I used to spray on...also on a Ducati as it happens. Motorbike peeps swear by it, but I cant think where it'd be worth spraying on a bicycle? Frame maybe...but that shouldn't rust anyway unless your paint is funked?
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    I do nothing. My commuter gets a clean every couple of months whether it needs it or not :D

Seriously, I realised quite quickly that when I get in at 9pm the last think I have inclination for is cleaning a bike. So I've put together a bike that requires minimal maintenance (11 speed alfine hub gears, disc brakes, mud guards, dyno lighting). I pump up the tyres once a week. Lube the chain when it gets noisy. Give it a decent clean every couple of months. Hand it to the LBS once a year to grease bearing, replace cables, etc. I will change tyres, pads, chains as necessary.