gps-offers.com - Legitimate?

Snails
Snails Posts: 10
edited October 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi guys,

Has anyone ever heard of or used http://www.gps-offers.com? They offer very reasonable prices on Garmin products and I can't find anything online warning about the site, but it all appears very dodgy.

Comments

• SoSimple
    SoSimple Posts: 301
    If it looks too good to be true...it most probably is.
  • Website definitely looks a bit suspect. Have a look on eBay. There are some sellers in Taiwan selling at good prices. You'd obviously have trouble with any warranty claims but I suppose that's the trade off....
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,851
    They quote an address in the states but offer no telephone number. They may be legit but you run the risk of having to pay duty and VAT if the excise guys intercept.

I'd avoid.
  • dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    Site looks like its based in Bulgaria so looks like a scam. Check out handtec for good prices on GPS. They have refub 800 for £160
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Website definitely looks a bit suspect. Have a look on eBay. There are some sellers in Taiwan selling at good prices. You'd obviously have trouble with any warranty claims but I suppose that's the trade off....

The other issue with buying from Taiwan can be the firmware required, as they can be selling the Chinese edition of the device. It can be configured to display in English, but there seems to be delays in getting software updates for it.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Not sure about the problems with firmware. I bought my first Garmin (705) from Israel and never had a problem with it operating wise. When it did lock up after one of the updates that caused problems for plenty of users, Garmin replaced it. Only sold it because I wanted the additional features of the 810.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    I'd not buy from them. We don't know where the OP is so he may be in Santa Monica.

Why would I not buy? The site looks clunky and dated - easy to get it professional looking. Minimal information about who they are - a brief address is all there is. There's the disparity between their info and that in the whois - USA Vs Bulgaria. No info on where things ship from. Minimal actual range...
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)