Trek Superfly 9.6 (2014) good deal?

Henrik76
Henrik76 Posts: 5
edited October 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hello

I am pretty new to riding MTB but have been riding road a lot.

I have a old 26" Giant but I have to face that its to old to handle our local single tracks.
I found a offer for the 2014 Trek Superfly 9.6 for the price of 1050 punds and It sounds to me like a good offer. But since om no expert on MTB bikes i would like to hear what some of you have to say about it.
I am livng in Denmark and the prices for bikes and a lot of other things tend to be a bit more expensive in this country.

Regards
Henrik

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    New? Great deal. I've got the same frame but built up with XX1, carbon wheels etc and it's awesome - 19lbs.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Whats wrong with the Giant? You may be able to make it in to a pretty good bike again depending on what frame it is.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I'd sooner have a modern 29er, particularly for that price.
  • Whats wrong with the Giant? You may be able to make it in to a pretty good bike again depending on what frame it is.

My giant is 15 years old so I think it has done its job :D
    Besides that i have tried some 29'ers on our local tracks and I love riding with the big wheels over roots etc.

Thankyou to all of you, I think I will go ahead and buy it before its to late
  • njee20 wrote:
    New? Great deal. I've got the same frame but built up with XX1, carbon wheels etc and it's awesome - 19lbs.

Good to hear.

I am going to upgrade the wheels to Fulcrum Red XL in the near future and i am replacing the shimano M615 brakes with my new Sram Guide RSC that I recently bought for the old bike.

Do you by any chance know how much the stock Bontrager wheels weight?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'd stick with the Shimano brakes.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Henrik76 wrote:

Do you by any chance know how much the stock Bontrager wheels weight?

I would say around the 1900g - 2000g mark.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • The Rookie wrote:
    I'd stick with the Shimano brakes.

I guess you have not tried the new sram guide brakes, they are nothing like there old brakes. But I guess it's a matter of taste:)
  • cracking deal - I got a trek superfly 6 for £960 an thought that was decent!