Waterproof overshoes needed

galatzo
galatzo Posts: 1,295
edited October 2014 in Road buying advice
Are there any fully waterproof overshoes out there ?
I got thoroughly soaked this morning (only 8 miles and 35mins) in my Pearl Izumi's (think they areamphibs) and need some recommendations for something fully waterproof.
Or am I dreaming and the only thing that would have kept me dry this morning would have been an Ark ?

Cheers
25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.

Comments

• ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    There are waterproof overshoes, or at least overshoes made from waterproof materials. However, they still have openings at the top for your leg and the bottom for the cleat and usually the heel too. Depending on the fit, what you're wearing and how wet it is there's a fair chance some water will get in the top. If you don't have a long front mudguard, you'll get lots of water hitting the bottom any time there's water on the road. Even with mudguards you may still get some. If the shoes have vents or water permeable materials around the openings you'll get water in that way.

I've got a pair of Grip Grab waterproof watershoes, can't remember the exact model. They've got a waterproof membrane over the neoprene and I found them very good last winter. Much better than my previous Pearl Izumi Barrier overshoes which were uncoated neoprene. I use long mudguards in winter and I put a bit of tape over the vent in the sole of my shoes.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Usually the issue with waterproof shoecovers, is the tops eventually leave water in as it runs down your legs - Spotted Nico Roche wearing these (See Link) at a recent local even, seem like a much more secure pair than normal but can't seem to find anything similar on an internet search.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater
    MTB HardTail: GT Aggressor XC2 '09
    Road Summer(s): Kuota Kharma '10
    Road Winter(w): Carrera Virtuoso '10
    Full Suspension: Trek Fuel Ex 8 '11

http://app.strava.com/athletes/130161
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Do you have mudguards and flaps ? If not - you might as well have a garden hose on your feet.

As has been said - water will run down your legs and into the boots. Nothing can stop that.
  • mattsccm
    mattsccm Posts: 409
    I use a 3" length of motorcycle inner tube as an overlap at the top of my overshoes. Get a good fit and its keeps rain from running down inside. I am told that the cuff from rubber gloves works but mine are tougher and not pink or yellow.
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    No guards. Trying to sell my crosser so didn't want to buy guards and overshoes as I already have a goretex rain jacket coming. I think it was particularly bad this morning and coupled with the lack of guards created a perfect storm for wet feet. Anyway
    shoes and overshoes dried out when hung over the heater, smelt a bit though !
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Febreze works wonders.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Galatzo wrote:
    No guards. Trying to sell my crosser so didn't want to buy guards and overshoes as I already have a goretex rain jacket coming. I think it was particularly bad this morning and coupled with the lack of guards created a perfect storm for wet feet. Anyway
    shoes and overshoes dried out when hung over the heater, smelt a bit though !
    As far as comfort in wet and cold weather is concerned, I'd put mudguards and overshoes well ahead of a goretex jacket. They make more of a difference and they're cheaper.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Tape up the soles of your shoes as well as wearing overshoes. Vents are great in Summer, less so in Winter. I did mine yesterday before the ride home and arrived with dry feet. Same again this morning and it was really coming down.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”