Cycle tights / dodgy knee

yost72
yost72 Posts: 51
edited October 2014 in Road beginners
Not sure if anyone can help with this. I did a 50 miler yesterday and it was freezing so I slipped a pair of cycle tights over my cycle shorts. However, from about 30 miles onwards, I kept having to adjust the tights as they felt really tight and uncomfortable over my right knee and by the end my knee was in quite a bit of pain which I can still feel today.
I have had a bit of a dodgy knee from my football playing days, but it has never affected my cycling before. I don't think the tights are too small, as they are large size and my legs are particularly skinny. It may be that they were riding down whenever I stood up to climb hills, as this was when I seemed to keep re-adjusting them, maybe not helped by having the cycle shorts on underneath.
So questions are:
1/ Has anyone experienced a similar problem before and if so, is there a solution?
2/ Is there something better to wear when it is cold than tights? Should I just man up and wear shorts only? Would it have been better not to wear cycle shorts underneath
3/ Any other thoughts/suggestions?
Cheers

Comments

• derosa
    derosa Posts: 2,819
    Have you tried a pair of knee or leg warmers instead of tights?
    You'll find them a much more comfortable solution.

Big H

May the road rise up to meet you.
    May the wind always be at your back.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    I used to have some trouble with my knees, thankfully now pretty much resolved, but I used to find that they were more uncomfortable when I wore tights or kneewarmers than when they were bare. This felt like it was due to the lycra stretched over the knee influencing the movement of the kneecap. I'm not sure if this was the actual cause or not but any compression around my knee definitely seemed to accelerate knee discomfort.
  • yost72
    Ai_1 wrote:
    I used to have some trouble with my knees, thankfully now pretty much resolved, but I used to find that they were more uncomfortable when I wore tights or kneewarmers than when they were bare. This felt like it was due to the lycra stretched over the knee influencing the movement of the kneecap. I'm not sure if this was the actual cause or not but any compression around my knee definitely seemed to accelerate knee discomfort.

This sounds exactly the same as my problem, in which case your suggestion would be to wear nothing over them, rather than derosa's suggestion to wear knee/leg warmers? My only worry is freezing to death! I had considered knee warmers as an alternative but was worried that I might have the same issue.
  • derosa
    derosa Posts: 2,819
    Yost72 wrote:
    Ai_1 wrote:

This sounds exactly the same as my problem, in which case your suggestion would be to wear nothing over them, rather than derosa's suggestion to wear knee/leg warmers? My only worry is freezing to death! I had considered knee warmers as an alternative but was worried that I might have the same issue.

Suggest you pop into a shop and try some knee warmers if you can. Once I found the right size almost forgot I was wearing them.

Big H

May the road rise up to meet you.
    May the wind always be at your back.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Yost72 wrote:
    Ai_1 wrote:

I still wore either tights or knee-warmers depending on the conditions but I did feel they accelerated knee pain. Although I tend not to be bothered too much by the cold I didn't and wouldn't attempt to ride right through winter in shorts! For all I know you might just make things worse if you ride on cold joints and muscles.
    As I recall the knee warmers were less problematic than the tights, problably because they were basic Roubaix lycra items with a bit more give whereas the tights were a bit more heavy duty (Campagnolo Steamers IIRC).
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    How about wearing something over the top that isn't lycra and therefore won't compress the area around the knee?
    There are numerous 'casual' cycling trousers on the market, such as:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/end ... t-ec048689

They'll not be as snug as proper winter tights, but will get around the compression problem. Also - have you just tried wearing winter bib tights? It might just be that wearing two layers caused the problem (although not sure how if it was just your knee that was giving you gip). Personally I'd never wear full tights over bib-shorts as having two layers around the rear-end doesn't sit well with me (ho ho), I'd much rather wear either bib-tights or bib-shorts with leg warmers, especially at this time of year when commuting to work means the temperature can be 10 degrees warmer on the way home than on the way in.
  • This may be a silly question, but has anyone tried womens tights, the thick ones? Do they restricted movement and keep some of the cold out? I'm told stockings and suspenders don't work. :P
  • derosa wrote:
    Yost72 wrote:
    Ai_1 wrote:

Suggest you pop into a shop and try some knee warmers if you can. Once I found the right size almost forgot I was wearing them.

^_^ THIS +100%

I bought to merino knee warmers last year & they are the best thing I've worn over my knees. Great for cooler days and if it heats up thin enough hardly to notice I'm wearing them.

Have a rebuilt knee from some old shimano LX parts found in the garage, OK not quite but it does need some looking after. Thights don't make it worse, but have been uncomfortable in them but that was user error as was too hot hence the knee warmer purchase.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Your knee may be reacting to the pressure over the knee cap . If you have any chondromalacia patella type problems this is likely. You may do better with an open patella style of knee covering e.g.

http://www.just-keepers.com/4_Goalkeepe ... wwodW0wAdw.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    derosa wrote:
    Yost72 wrote:
    Ai_1 wrote:

^_^ THIS +100%

I bought to merino knee warmers last year & they are the best thing I've worn over my knees. Great for cooler days and if it heats up thin enough hardly to notice I'm wearing them.

+1 IME wool/woven warmers are the way to go. Far less restrictive and great for keeping the chill off. I've got some Craft 3D knee warmers and they are awesome. They come up big so unless your surname is Greipel, opt for the XS/S size. Can't recommend them enough.

Morvelo, Ibex and DeFeet (to name a few) also offer Merino/wool warmers.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • yost72
    Thanks for all the advice. The wool knee warmers look viable so might give this a go, although my legs are so skinny I'm not sure I will find any which will stay up. Might also consider the casual trousers which are an expensive option, but could be useful over autumn/winter.
  • Yost72 wrote:
    Thanks for all the advice. The wool knee warmers look viable so might give this a go, although my legs are so skinny I'm not sure I will find any which will stay up. Might also consider the casual trousers which are an expensive option, but could be useful over autumn/winter.

They pull up about half way up you upper leg and you pull your Lycra shorts down over the top of them so they don't go anywhere. Plus they have a gripper at the top/bottom (well my make do) so def not going anywhere.

Good luck
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • I have the same problem, it's the pressure increasing friction on your patella... these days as soon as I buy a pair of tights, I cut off the area around the knee cap and stitch it all around to avoid the fabric wearing off... it works well, no more patella issues.

Needless to say, I don't buy expensive tights anymore... :mrgreen:
    left the forum March 2023