8 speed wheelset?

daddy0
daddy0 Posts: 686
edited October 2014 in Commuting chat
I want to buy a new set of wheels for my hybrid. Its a Shimano 8 speed. Will I be able to buy any old wheelset with a Shimano freehub? Most wheels say they're 9/10/11 speed compatible, but don't mention 8 speed...

Comments

• Daddy0 wrote:
    I want to buy a new set of wheels for my hybrid. Its a Shimano 8 speed. Will I be able to buy any old wheelset with a Shimano freehub? Most wheels say they're 9/10/11 speed compatible, but don't mention 8 speed...

Not sure about road standards but for MTB Shimano 8spd is the same as 9spd. 7spd on 9 requires a spacer. Worse case scenario it will require a spacer of some description which you should be able to pick up for a few quid.

Mike
  • Shimano freehubs were 8/9/10 speed and now they are 11. Once you fit the provided spacer, they effectively become the former... so any Shimano freehub should take 8 speed
    left the forum March 2023
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    As far as i recall (having switched all five of my bikes from 8 to 9 speed) 8 and 9 are identical in width and all other dimensions and can be swapped out directly for each other. The few 7 speed cassettes that exist are narrower and require a spacer behind the big ring to push it out towards the lockring. 11 are wider too (not sure about 10), so if the hub is designed for 11 a narrower 8/9 cassette might also need a spacer behind the big ring to push it out towards the lockring. This isn't the case if the wheel is designed for 9 speed (possibly 10).

I certainly didn't need to use spacers when going from 8 to 9, but then all my wheels were stock 8/9 speed hubs.
  • daddy0
    Cheers guys. Now, which wheels to go for?
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    round ones?
  • We need more details than that. Budget? Real budget? Budget if the Mrs doesn't find out? Kind of riding? What's most important to you (bling, weight, sturdiness)?
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    These ones of this guys S-Works would be fine ... ;)

viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=12990581
  • daddy0
    They are for my hybrid which I am going to ride through winter. Need to have sealed bearings, be sturdy, thickish rims, but not too heavy. Oh and yes, they do need to be round, unlike the ones on it at the moment. Thinking of spending £80 to £120ish. Probably these:
    http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/wheels-factory-built-wheels-factory-cyclocross-campagnolo-khamsin-cx-clincher-wheels-pair/campwhfx232

The less I spend on these the more I can spend on upgrading my good bikes Fulcrum 5s next year.
  • Daddy0 wrote:
    They are for my hybrid which I am going to ride through winter. Need to have sealed bearings, be sturdy, thickish rims, but not too heavy. Oh and yes, they do need to be round, unlike the ones on it at the moment. Thinking of spending £80 to £120ish. Probably these:
    http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/wheels-factory-built-wheels-factory-cyclocross-campagnolo-khamsin-cx-clincher-wheels-pair/campwhfx232

The less I spend on these the more I can spend on upgrading my good bikes Fulcrum 5s next year.
    Them are Campagnolo fit wheels, they'll be no good with a Shimano cassette.
  • Shimano R 500/501 are pound for pound the best budget wheels out there
  • daddy0
    Shimano R 500/501 are pound for pound the best budget wheels out there

Cheers Ugo - I am going to order some of these on your recommendation.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Shimano R 500/501 are pound for pound the best budget wheels out there
    What is the equivalent with disc hubs and suitable upto 42mm tyres?
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • daddy0
    Word up

So I bought a set of Shimano 501 wheels and fitted them with a HG41 8 speed cassette. I just rode them to work and things aint right. Do I need a spacer? I didn't get sent one with the wheels, but the cassette seemed to fit fine, so thought that was job done. However, on the way in to work this morning I couldn't get the RD to index correctly and the RD arm was rubbing on the spokes when in biggest rear cog (so I avoided the 2 biggest rear cogs to be safe). Logic would dictate that I need a spacer, right? Anyone know what size?

Ta!
  • They are marketed for 8-9-10 speed cassettes, so you should not need one for 8 speed. However, if the lockring binds the freehub body and the sprockets are loose, by all means fit one. If the lockring doesn't bind, then you do not need a spacer, just need to re-index the gears and check the limit screws
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Daddy0 wrote:
    Word up

the RD arm was rubbing on the spokes when in biggest rear cog (so I avoided the 2 biggest rear cogs to be safe). Logic would dictate that I need a spacer, right?

This sounds like you need to play with your limiter screws more than needing a spacer. You'd need a spacer if your cassette was loose/wobbly (ie the lock ring didn't tighten it fully). Your problem sounds more like the cassette/wheel sits differently compared to your old wheel needing a bit of rear derailleur fettling...
  • daddy0
    I thought I had set the limit screws and indexed the RD, but what I actually did was make a right pigs ear of it. A readjustment later and all is fixed, no need for spacers. Cheers for the input guys.