SKS Mudgards; any others?

Levi_501
Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
edited October 2014 in Commuting chat
Morning all

Just before I press pay now on a new set of SKS mudguards; are there any others I should consider?

FYI, I am after full mud guards.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Why would you try any others? SKS are superb and you well know it.
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    SKS are Lord Of All Mudguards. Submit to them.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    tortec.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Ok - whats the difference between the SKS commuter road mudguard and the Bluemels? The commuter seems to have a flare at the bottom and they've got different fixing stays, but is that it?

I'm after 2 pairs - one for a Dolce (wife's bike) and one for my TriCross which I'm going to run with 25mm this winter - if I swap to the 30mm studs it'll probably be on the 29'er
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I have some Bluemels on one of my steel bikes. I cannot believe the faffyness involved in getting them on the bike. I had to cut down the steel rods otherwise the little clippy things on the top wouldn't work and feck me where they a bitch to cut, with hacksaw or drill bit cutter.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Cut them with a cable cutter.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    rubertoe wrote:
    Cut them with a cable cutter.
    The cable cutter wouldn't cut it so to speak.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Angle grinder: always fun. Either that or a junior hacksaw is less likely to snag than the full-size one when cutting thin things.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Dremel did the job for me cutting down the metal rods on some SKS Chromoplastics
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Bolt cutters work very well.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • jp1970
    jp1970 Posts: 134
    rubertoe wrote:
    tortec.
    +1 for tortec...
  • Jahmoo
    Jahmoo Posts: 168
    Hi Guys,

Thought I would pop over to your side, due to me looking for Mudguards for my Specialized Roubaix Disc.

Running 700x25.

Had a look at the Bluemels, look good, specially the Narrows. Excuse the silly question, but does the rear mudguard come with a adjustable support, mounting bridge thingy majig. Also excuse my terminology :D

Appreciate any advise, as want to make sure I get a set that fits...

Cheers in advance
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    SKS are over-rated. I think some varieties of mudguard don't rely on a crappy piece of stamped floppy crack prone steel to badly hold the mudguard to the rear brake bolt - so get a pair of those!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • PDW Full Metal Fenders. Not cheap but better than anything else I have tried so far.

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Portland-Design ... _60710.htm
  • jeffffej wrote:
    PDW Full Metal Fenders. Not cheap but better than anything else I have tried so far.

Very interesting...are they easy to fit? I'm sure I've read you dont need to faff about cutting the stays like the sks ones.
  • jeffffej wrote:
    PDW Full Metal Fenders. Not cheap but better than anything else I have tried so far.

Very interesting...are they easy to fit? I'm sure I've read you dont need to faff about cutting the stays like the sks ones.

I would be cautious of these, I had some lovely Gilles Berthoud Stainless Steel 'guards on my old Orbea for a while until they shook themselves to bits on the pothole-ridden roads round here. They only lasted six months. My last chromoplastics lasted two years then getting rear-ended by a car before finally succombing to the same fate after another year.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    I fitted bluemels to my winter/training bike about 6 years ago.

About a month ago they developed cracks in the rear guard (common apparently) which completely seperated. Had to remove the metal arms, so for a while I had a diy raceblade on the rear.

I ordered a replacement set from Wiggle, and fitted the rear in about 10 minutes, slightly different design, and didn't have to make any cuts!

My method of cutting them though has always been 2 pairs of mole grips and a hacksaw.
    Clamp firmly with one mole grip, use this to help guide the hacksaw. Just cut part way through the metal, attach the second mole trip just the other side of the cut, and you should be able to use it to bend the bit you want rid of back and forth until it snaps.
    As long as you keep a good hold of the first molegrip (tight on the part you are keeping) the rest of it stays perfectly straight.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18