Trek Ex 8 Fuel Upgrade Options

shidevil
shidevil Posts: 34
edited October 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi Chaps,

Pondering upgrading the Trek Fuel EX8, or Upgrading to a new Bike. I am trying to work out the benefits of doing so, against buying another bike. I ride Trails etc, Dalby and Cannock, that type of all terrain. I wondered if anyone had thoughts on areas of upgrade. I am relatively new to all the components on offer, as just tend to ride. I have already upgraded to a Reverb and I am Tubeless with Nobby Nick UST's.

Brakes:SLX hydraulic disc
Cassette:Shimano HG62 11-36, 10-speed
Cranks:M552, 42/32/24
Fork:Evolution Series 32 Float w/DRCV, CTD (climb-trail-descend) damper, rebound, E2 tapered steerer, 15QR thru axle, 130mm travel, tuned by Trek in California
Derailleur:SLX, direct mount
Front Hub:sealed cartridge bearing, 15mm alloy axle
Front Tyre:Bontrager
Front Tyre Size:26x2.2Grips/Tape:Race Lite, lock-on
Handlebar:Race Lite Low Riser, 31.8mm, 15mm rise, 9 degree sweep
Headset Type:IS-2, E2, fully integrated alloy cartridge
Rear Derailleur:Deore XT Shadow
Rear Hub:sealed cartridge bearing, alloy axle
Rear Shock:Evolution Series Float w/DRCV, CTD (climb-trail-descend) damper, rebound, tuned by Trek in California, 7.25x2.0
Rear Tyre:Bontrager
Rims:Duster Disc 32-hole
Saddle:Evoke 2, chromoly rails
Seatpost:Rhythm Elite, 31.6mm, zero offsetShifters:SLX, 10-speed
Stem:Race Lite, 31.8mm, 7 degree
Bike: Yeti SB5C
Car TVR Sagaris and TVR T350

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    You have not had it a month yet so go ride it.

Then you will see what you don't get on with.

Pointless changing stuff if you either don't know what you don't like or it is not wornout.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    You have not had it a month yet so go ride it.

Then you will see what you don't get on with.

Pointless changing stuff if you either don't know what you don't like or it is not wornout.

You have me confused with someone else mate. I've had it brand new since September 2012 (just looked back at an early post I did). No idea where you got a month from. I've been riding it more and more recently doing more technical stuff than before and just wanted to look at options e.g. handlebars, rims, maybe forks, etc. To lighten it further or improve the performance. The Reverb has been very beneficial as is the Tubeless setup, so looking at other options.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I guess he read the 2012 as 2014.
    But point made is valid. What does it not do that you want it to do?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I just fancied upgrading it, the inner man searching for something more. Mates have bought new bikes, upgraded etc None of that should really need explaining lol :P I don't tend to keep up to date with components, so have no clue how things have progressed.

The reverb and Tubeless have been great upgrades and i've noticed the difference. The bike feels good, but money in the pocket, could it feel better :) I wanted to see if there were better rim's (lighter etc), maybe a carbon handlebar which is wider (currently running 720) for better control (particularly downhill), better front shocks (is it worth it). Maybe Double Chainset...
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Clearly lighter wheels will feel better if they retain the same strength. A carbon handle bar would be down my list and not really an upgrade, just different if wider. Different forks may be better but how long's a piece of string and how deep are your pockets. IMO a double from a triple if you like the extremes is a downgrade.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    there are plenty of things you can do if you have the money. Is your primary aim to loose a bit of weight or just better components?

obvious area you can change is the fork. a manitou mattoc set to 140mm would be sweet. All depends on your budget and what you think is lacking from the ride. if you want a bit more bling then why not.
  • Valid points, better components, but if that also reduces the weight all the better. It's a case of if I don't ask I won't know and I don't want to upgrade if the benefits are negligible.
  • Chunkers1980
    In that case refer to the first answer post - minus the moth of course.
  • poah
    easton haven 740 or renthal fat bar lite carbon 740mm both can be had for about £110-120

manitou mattoc 140mm (they come as 160 and you have to reduce them) - £584 form CRC

1X10 costs about £115-£130 depending on components (e.g superstar N/W, zee shifter, SLX R mech, KMC X10-93 chain, SLX 11-36 cassette)

push tune on the shock £143 from TFtuned

lighter wheels - all dependson budget but say £350 for a set that are a decent strength and weight under 1700g
  • Chunkers1980
    So what you have there is approaching £1500 for not a great deal of improvement. Anything over the OP's spec marginal returns sets in rapidly.
  • poah
    So what you have there is approaching £1500 for not a great deal of improvement. Anything over the OP's spec marginal returns sets in rapidly.

and the issue is what? I don't have the stuff on my bike because of my ability. I could have built it a lot cheaper but I wanted good parts. never understand the hate towards spending money on the bike on this forum. not all things are done to have better bits, people like shiny new lighter bits too. It also makes the bike more personal.

and how do you know how there is not a great deal of improvement. since when has saving weight and better suspension not been good improvement.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Bontrager wheels arent bad for weight or strength.
    A shock tune needs you to identify whats wrong otherwise what do they tune it to?
    Mattock is a bit overkill for a Fuel EX, a Revelation would probably be much better suited. When dropped to 130mm they are reasonably stiff.
  • Chunkers1980
    POAH wrote:

and how do you know how there is not a great deal of improvement. since when has saving weight and better suspension not been good improvement.

Did you read the original spec? What have you suggested that gives a great benefit over what is on it already? I can't see anything apart from a bit of weight in the wheels. £1500 buys a stupendous HT and a decent FS
  • poah
    Did you read the original spec? What have you suggested that gives a great benefit over what is on it already? I can't see anything apart from a bit of weight in the wheels. £1500 buys a stupendous HT and a decent FS

yes evolution 32mm forks are pretty poor and the shock isn't the best either. OP wants a wider bar and loose a bt of weight too.
  • rockmonkeysc
    A mattock gains weight over the Fox 32
  • poah
    A mattock gains weight over the Fox 32

much better fork however
  • Chunkers1980
    So it works slightly better, weighs more and costs about £600 for the pleasure. What if he's happy with how his forks work?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    So it works slightly better, weighs more and costs about £600 for the pleasure. What if he's happy with how his forks work?
    You've been around long enough to know that the standard BR reply is throw money at it.
    And if that doesn't work, throw some more.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    There are plenty of forks other than a heavy enduro fork which are better suited to the frame and lighter.
    If the fork needs replacing a Revelation or even a better damped Fox 32 would be much more suitable.
    By your logic, a Rockshox Boxxer world cup shortened to 140mm (it can be done) would be a brilliant upgrade.
  • poah

they work more than slightly better :roll:

and all I did was supply a list of possible upgrades given the spec of the current bike not a list of what he should buy. I'd be interested to know the spec of your bike and what you've changed since buying it :wink:
  • poah
    There are plenty of forks other than a heavy enduro fork which are better suited to the frame and lighter.
    If the fork needs replacing a Revelation or even a better damped Fox 32 would be much more suitable.
    By your logic, a Rockshox Boxxer world cup shortened to 140mm (it can be done) would be a brilliant upgrade.

a rev sure is a nice fork as is a manitou minute 130mm would be cheaper but why more suitable just because its lighter? plus a better damped fox is significantly more expensive.

the last part about logic is completely ridiculous even by your standard
  • Chunkers1980
    POAH wrote:

I'd be interested to know the spec of your bike and what you've changed since buying it :wink:

On the bike I use most since new - everything apart from the headset which is on its last legs and stem.

I worked out what I didn't like, what was better and why it was better for me. Paid very close attention to its relative value (cost minus benefits) and what broke/wore out. That's why I still have the headset and stem - they work just fine in a turney and being there in the right place way so have never had reason to change them.

£600 on a set of forks is a significant amount of money. You're almost able to buy 3 sets of Rebas for that if you shop around. To spend that amount money you either need to have more money than you know what to do with or really know your stuff and what you're getting. Otherwise the benefits will be really small over something a third of the cost.
  • poah
    On the bike I use most since new - everything apart from the headset which is on its last legs and stem.

I worked out what I didn't like, what was better and why it was better for me. Paid very close attention to its relative value (cost minus benefits) and what broke/wore out. That's why I still have the headset and stem - they work just fine in a turney and being there in the right place way so have never had reason to change them.

£600 on a set of forks is a significant amount of money. You're almost able to buy 3 sets of Rebas for that if you shop around. To spend that amount money you either need to have more money than you know what to do with or really know your stuff and what you're getting. Otherwise the benefits will be really small over something a third of the cost.

thats not what I asked - what did you have and what did you replace it with?
  • Chunkers1980
    edited October 2014
    There have been various iterations of every part bar those mentioned. I could give you an original spec list and now but that wouldn't be the whole story. Some things have had 3, 4, 5 changes. My mantra is always; the same or better when things break or ware. It's never been just throw money at it. I think why am I doing that and is that the best value for me or what I've always wanted.
  • poah
    There have been various iterations of every part bar those mentioned. I could give you an original spec list and now but that wouldn't be the whole story. Some things have had 3, 4, 5 changes. My mantra is always; the same or better when things break or ware. It's never been just through money at it. I think why am I doing that and is that the best value for me or what I've always wanted.

still not telling me what you had and what you've replaced it with, are you scared you'll sound hypocritcal?
  • rockmonkeysc
    I still don't understand the logic of fitting a heavy enduro fork to an xc bike. It may be well damped but all that stiffness is no good unless it has the wheels and frame to match otherwise you're gaining nothing.
    There's a good reason why xc forks only have skinny stanchions and light lowers, it's a balance of weight against the stiffness actually required for it's intended use.
  • Chunkers1980
    Not at all. Let's start with the forks as that's what we're talking about. Went from a RS Judy R3?? (POS) to a 2008 Reba MoCo 100mm then now a Reba 120mm 20mm Bolt Thru.

And anyway this is the Internet - you don't actually know if I'm spouting shite and whatever I say could be just to prove my point and not reality. So saying I don't want to be hypocritical is way off - I'd just make it up.

Oh and I have other bikes!
  • poah
    I still don't understand the logic of fitting a heavy enduro fork to an xc bike. It may be well damped but all that stiffness is no good unless it has the wheels and frame to match otherwise you're gaining nothing.
    There's a good reason why xc forks only have skinny stanchions and light lowers, it's a balance of weight against the stiffness actually required for it's intended use.

its not a XC bike though in fact its head angle is slacker than mine and I've got a pike.

its not all about the stiffness but the better adjustablity for the rider - my pike is way better than the manitou minute I had before (which is better damped than a fox evo 32) and not just in the stiffness stake.

the only argument you can make is the weight difference between the fox 32 and the mattoc of ~200g.
  • rockmonkeysc
    The Fuel EX is definitely an XC bike. It's not just about head angle. It's far from an enduro bike.
    Adjustability is only worth having if you know how to set it up and on shorter travel forks the difference between high and low speed damping is much less noticeable than with a longer travel bike.