Tubeless wheelset suggestions

harkmeadow
harkmeadow Posts: 193
edited October 2014 in Road buying advice
Looking for a good value training wheelset for winter. Need to be tubeless . Ideally looking to spent less than £300. Don't mind if it's OEM or I build up from rims. Currently got Stan's which Are great but don't want to wreck the tracks over winter. Weigh 74kg, and need to be pretty sturdy for the crappy roads round here!

Any suggestions.

Thanks

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Velocity A23s or H Son Archetypes on Novatec hubs will be the best combo of price/durability IMO
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Recently built me a set with Alexrims AT490 rims (officially assessed by Schwalbe as tubeless) and so far good expierence.
    I don't use them tubeless though.
    Cheap too..... only 20 p.p. so with Novatec or Miche hubs it does not break the bank.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    getting alex rims in the u.k is awkward, not many brought in at all.

The archetype on miche Primato hubs is what I would do.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    +1 Archetypes on whatever hubs you can afford. I run Hope rear and Tune front on the winter bike.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Wot MontyDog said! Mine are Velocity A23 on Miche Primato.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • andy_s_t
    andy_s_t Posts: 106
    I have just rebuilt the wheels on my Croix de Fer with Alex Rims ATD490 rims (same as the AT490 but no brake track). I bought them from hollandbikeshop.com link to the AT490s below

http://en.hollandbikeshop.com/bicycle-wheels/bicycle-rims/bicycle-rim-28-inch/alex-bicycls-rim-at490-28x1-1-4-aluminium-32-holes-spokes-14/

They were very nice to build and seem a bit of a bargain at about £20 a rim.
  • keezx
    I didn't like the sharp edge on the Archetypes , that's why I bought Kinlins XC279 earlier this year, not too expensive too at 40 each...
  • The Alex rims that came as stock on my Croix de Fer in 2009 were pretty dreadful.
    Alexrims seem to have a huge range of products, most of them are fitted as OEM on stock bikes... I don't think there is anything special or exciting about them... they are rims, which is as far as I am happy to push it... the law of the competitive market says that if a rim (Archetype) made in China by a Chinese company and imported via one pair of hands only costs 55 pounds a piece... another one that only costs 30 is bound to be inferior and that's pretty much what I have always found out with the various alternatives available.
    Unless you buy premium brands like HED, Zipp etc...you generally get what you pay for
    left the forum March 2023
  • keezx
    That's just a prediction, I don't believe in nor am I interested in the concept "premium" , only personal expierience counts.
    Premium is an invention of people who want too much of my money...
    Anyway, I had some 32H Chinese hubs laying around (paid 15 for them) and some Race spokes in the good lengths and decided to build a ultralow budget winter wheelset with "widish" rims , that's wat got me to the Alex AT490.
    Total material cost 90€
    After a few hundred Km's I can say they build and run fine equipped with Michelin Lithion 2 25 mm.....
  • Keezx wrote:
    That's just a prediction, I don't believe in nor am I interested in the concept "premium" , only personal expierience counts.
    Premium is an invention of people who want too much of my money...
    Anyway, I had some 32H Chinese hubs laying around (paid 15 for them) and some Race spokes in the good lengths and decided to build a ultralow budget winter wheelset with "widish" rims , that's wat got me to the Alex AT490.
    Total material cost 90€
    After a few hundred Km's I can say they build and run fine equipped with Michelin Lithion 2 25 mm.....

You are right... when you build a lot of wheels you become more and more demanding and if Archetype is the benchmark of a good 23 mm rim, I need a bloody good reason to build something else... 20 quid savings in today's cycling money is not enough to accept a potentially inferior product (that might backfire giving me grief and hassle). Of course when you build for yourself it's a different matter... I have build seriously dreadful things for myself... the worst probably a set of Wolber profil 18 tubular rims... the non machined brake track was so bad that it was chewing away rubber from the brake pads and juddering so badly I thought the front caliper might snap...
    left the forum March 2023
  • keezx
    edited October 2014
    Well , you can see it as a personal test for my semiprofessional plans.
    If the Alex's survive one winter without problems I 'll gonna use them for some builds for guys who want to try tubeless in races.(cyclecross)
    AnYway:
    Today I 've rebuilt a front wheel with an NOS Mavic Open SUP because the old rim was damaged and truing took me twice the time I had to spent on the Alex's , the Taiwanese know at least how to make a 22€ round rim...
  • src1
    src1 Posts: 301
    Archetypes are really nice rims, but they're not Tubeless specific. People do run them tubeless, but personally I would take the risk of the tyre blowing off.

Tubeless and wide: pacenti sl23, but probably too expensive for a winter wheel at about £88 / rim.
  • matt-h
    matt-h Posts: 847
    SRC1 wrote:
    Archetypes are really nice rims, but they're not Tubeless specific. People do run them tubeless, but personally I would take the risk of the tyre blowing off.

Tubeless and wide: pacenti sl23, but probably too expensive for a winter wheel at about £88 / rim.

This has been my worry, but a couple on here say there is no reason to worry.
    I should have measured and photographed the rim differences between my Archetype and 6800 rim.

Matt