Help identifying a bike made/model

Gamblor
Gamblor Posts: 84
edited October 2014 in MTB buying advice
Looking at getting a new bike, and have found the following on gumtree.

http://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/carrera/1083649835

It says carerra on it, but it looks almost like an aftermarket decal to me. The gentleman says he's refurbished loads of bikes, but is there anyway I can tell from the photos provided?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    That's a Carrera, rear dropout and form of top tube and down tube joining the headtube are spot on (see link in my sig), not the right decals at all though.

If it's a 27.2 mm seatpost it's pre 2008 (looks thin enough to be), 31.6 after, the frame number also includes the last two digits of the year.

All the HT's use the same frame at any one time, so the bargain Vulcan is the same as the top Fury.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Easiest thing is Google up some images and compare features like dropouts etc.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Gamblor
    Gamblor Posts: 84
    Nice on guys, appreciate the replies.

I'm really only buying it as its local and cheap, I may stick my snow tires on it and use it as my 'snow' bike to save having to chop and change my tires regularly
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Snow? And white.
    From the size, assume you are one of the dwarfs?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Price is about right for a cable disc Vulcan, neither over priced nor a bargain. One word of warning, spraying a frame is one way to cover up for a stolen bike!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.