OMG! Where's it gone.

Rad2474
Rad2474 Posts: 162
edited October 2014 in MTB general
Not been out for a month due to work,holiday then wife breaking her ankle on holiday back home hospital,surgery then stay in hospital then back on nightshift. Went out today down the local woods omg where's my fitness gone?? There's two steep uphill sections on my route never had trouble with them before had to get off and push for the first time ever. With her in plaster and ankle pinned up she's not very mobile so not going to be able to get out for more than a couple of hours for at least the next 5 weeks. So if anyone finds a dead rider lying next to a Kona Tanuki in Beamish woods it's probably me.

Comments

• 2x10
    2x10 Posts: 79
    First dibs on the bike...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It happens.....a week off and you can feel great getting back into it, 2 weeks and you wonder where the fitness has gone!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    I had nearly a month off after breaking a rib and it's shocking (and depressing) how far that's set my fitness back.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • I had nearly a month off after breaking a rib and it's shocking (and depressing) how far that's set my fitness back.

Same here, took abou 6 weeks to get over my busted ribs and when i got back on it was shocking how much fitness I had lost.

After a couple of road rides I went to gorlech and the time it took was the same as when i first went there! :shock:
    I don't know enough to make smart r's remarks about peoples choice of parts 'n' things, yet!
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Sitting here with a broken elbow, I can feel my fitness drifting away. Once the cast comes off I think I'm going to be getting a turbo trainer.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Why wait until the cast is off?!
  • The Rookie
    I used a cycling machine with broken ribs (balancing was an issue for 2 weeks), where there is a will there is a way, you can almost certainly turbo with an arm in a cast even if you have to mess with the ego to sit more upright.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mcnultycop
    njee20 wrote:
    Why wait until the cast is off?!

Mainly because I won't be able to set it up!
  • The Rookie
    Your name Billy then?
  • twonks
    twonks Posts: 352
    Is exercising in a cast such a good idea though. Sweaty encased body parts that can't be washed doesn't sound too promising for nasal orientated appreciation :shock:
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Mtbers stink anyway
  • The Rookie
    Inside the cast will stink anyway......
  • mcnultycop
    I'm going to wait until the cast comes off.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Go for a run, or at least a walk.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    Some basic leg exercises at home will keep your quads in reasonable state
    1/ Sitting in a chair, attach a weight to your foot (circa 3-5lbs) and do foot lifts
    2/ Sit against a wall, slide down until your knees are at right angles, lower leg vertical, just like you are sitting in a chair and use your muscles to support you weight.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I span on a wind turbo which meant I could keep a little hint of fitness but as the turbo was pretty gentle in its resistance I didn't get a huge sweat on - but I also only had a forearm/hand cast not full arm - depends on the cast too - mine was in theory washable and could be dried with a hair dryer - only ended up wearing it 3 weeks so never actually tried washing it (as I dont own a hair dryer!)
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.