Raid pyrenean

Frank the tank
Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
edited December 2014 in Tour & expedition
I did this last month with marmot tours, absolutely fantastic. If you have the why and the where-fore go do it. It will transform you as a cyclist if it is your first experience of high mountains.
Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,799
    One day. One day. :P
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Good to see the hips holding up old boy!!! This is on my to do list, just didn't want to have to pay a fortune.

Have to get out for a ride/ beer and pick your brain over it.

Was also thinking I might get a sabbatical from work in a couple of years ( When I turn 50) and spend the summer months riding the 50 climbs in Mountain High.
  • tim wand wrote:
    Good to see the hips holding up old boy!!! This is on my to do list, just didn't want to have to pay a fortune.

We did it with the same operator 4 years ago... I worked out if we did it without support it would have been more expensive... Marmot really give you a great deal in my view...
    left the forum March 2023
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Was hoping Franks post was going to be a proposal to do it rather than an endorsement for it as I reckon I m probably going to have to do it solo as I m a bit billy no mates ( well I am when I start talking cycling to them)

So I am glad to hear Ugo that the economics of doing it as a supported tour work out better than solo.

I looked into it a couple of years back with Pyractif and to be fair it was very good value.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    I did it a few years ago with Pyractif. was good fun.
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    I was thinking of doing this for my 50th. I ridden the whole route with full camping gear at some point or other over a number of trips but with start and finish points outside the Pyrenees. I was looking to do it over a period longer than most operators allow, say 10 days of riding. Mrs Whoof can do a couple of big climbs in a day but that's her limit and too many hard days in a row start to catch up with her.
  • whoof wrote:
    I was thinking of doing this for my 50th. I ridden the whole route with full camping gear at some point or other over a number of trips but with start and finish points outside the Pyrenees. I was looking to do it over a period longer than most operators allow, say 10 days of riding. Mrs Whoof can do a couple of big climbs in a day but that's her limit and too many hard days in a row start to catch up with her.

You have to look at the Brevet Touristique rather than the Randonneur one then... 10 days on a slightly longer and better route... it will have to be unsupported
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    whoof wrote:

You have to look at the Brevet Touristique rather than the Randonneur one then... 10 days on a slightly longer and better route... it will have to be unsupported

The idea was to do it supported as a treat rather than our usual summer tours. I think there might be a CTC tour run every other year.
  • Som10
    Som10 Posts: 4
    I did an similar route last summer with Velodrom Bike Tours: Excellent support and wonderful routes with all pyrenean mythical cols in 8 stages.... highly recommended!
    http://www.velodrombiketours.com/routes ... nees-2015/
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    We have just launched a site dedicated to the Raid Pyrenees which should be helpful and of interest to those planning to undertake it either with us, another company or solo, or who wish to reminisce about their experience. Plenty of content on there currently but we will be adding lots more including accounts from riders that have completed the Raid/Coast to coast, so I hope you find it useful.

http://www.raidpyrenees.co.uk
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • mrc1 wrote:
    We have just launched a site dedicated to the Raid Pyrenees which should be helpful and of interest to those planning to undertake it either with us, another company or solo, or who wish to reminisce about their experience. Plenty of content on there currently but we will be adding lots more including accounts from riders that have completed the Raid/Coast to coast, so I hope you find it useful.

http://www.raidpyrenees.co.uk

It's a very beautiful site, very original, well done!
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    It's a very beautiful site, very original, well done!

Good to hear you like it!
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1