CCDB Inline for Mega TR

rockmonkeysc
rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
edited October 2014 in MTB buying advice
Im sure someone on here has a Mega TR with a CCDB Inline.
Before I spend out on one I would like to know what difference it makes over the Monarch.
I know what I want to achieve but would like to know what differences you noticed.

Comments

• poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    someone had one on MTBR needed 1.5 volume spacers but other than that he is quite impressed with it. Got no complaints from mine either although I need more volume spaces too.
  • rockmonkeysc
    What's the problem that needs fixing with volume spacers and how does it work better than the Monarch?
  • poah
    just needs more ramp up at end of stroke on the bike. I've got mine set up well but using up all the travel a lot but not harshly bottoming out.

better small bump sensitivity, better rebound damping, more controll over ramp up. no doubt you could fit the debonair can and get the shims tuned but you'd still be hampered by the single tube design. I'm most impressed with the increase in small bump sensitivity over my monarch plus.
  • Guy on MTBR seems like a bellend tbh and no idea what he is doing!
  • rockmonkeysc
    Thanks. Its small bump sensitivity I really need. The Monarch is really harsh.
    How heavy are you (feel free to not answer!) I heard that the CCDB Inline doesn't have enough rebound damping for the larger gentleman. I'm 14st 5lb today so not vastly obese, just curvaceous.
  • Thanks. Its small bump sensitivity I really need. The Monarch is really harsh.
    How heavy are you (feel free to not answer!) I heard that the CCDB Inline doesn't have enough rebound damping for the larger gentleman. I'm 14st 5lb today so not vastly obese, just curvaceous.

He claims the shock has more "pop" orientated a different way around with no other changes!

Its more to do wight he pressure you need in the shock as to if it will have enough rebound damping or not apparently. That differs depending on who you weak to. Over 240psi i think it was and TF say it might not have enough rebound damping.
  • rockmonkeysc
    He claims the shock has more "pop" orientated a different way around with no other changes!

Does Newtons third law not apply to Cane Creek shocks?
    Maybe I should try turning around my CCDB coil on my DH bike.
  • poah
    Thanks. Its small bump sensitivity I really need. The Monarch is really harsh.

not really the weight so much than the pressure/leverage ratio. I'm a little over 11st, 170psi with a 50mm stroke/140mm travel. according to CC there is no issue with the shock and TF suggest 230psi as the upper limit. I've got mine set with HSR almost all the way in but thats for my local trails which may or may not be suitable for longer decents.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Just spoke to a nice man at TF Tuned. I'm going to order one. The Monarch just ruins the ride for me and tuning is very limited.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    "Superbikes" on Pinkbike just got one recently.

Can't remember what he's called on here but I've linked his PB profile above.

Lots of discussion in NP owners club thread on there too.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • rockmonkeysc
    Well I bought one and had a couple rides now.
    The difference compared to the Monarch is surprising. The Monarch isn't a bad shock but on this frame it is harsh in the first half of its travel.
    The Cane Creek is much more active, the difference is really noticeable on small, high frequency bumps. The downside is that pedal bob is also more noticeable with the climb switch off but turn it on and the bob dissappears. It still feels quite free over bumps when climbing which helps traction, I guess thats the separate high speed damping working. Deeper in the travel it feels like the compression is working well and I'm having no more problems with it blowing through travel.
    I found I can get away with fairly fast rebound and around 30% sag.
    It feels a lot like my CCDB coil shock which is exactly what I wanted. Ideal for hardcore, short travel bikes, maybe not so ideal for pure xc bikes.
  • poah
    have you had to use the volume spacer?
  • rockmonkeysc
    Nope, the linkage has quite a rising rate anyway and I thought the old shock ramped up too much so the larger air can of the CCDB works out about right.
    Never ridden a Ghost but most German frames have very linear linkage rates so probably need spacers to ramp it up a bit.
  • poah
    mine is a rising rate, I found the standard monarch plus air can to be too small.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    From Superbikes on PB:

*note: his spelling, not mine...
    first INLINE was sent back due to rebound issues TF replaced it with a brand new inline after a week of setting up I just could not get the inline setup right and I just was not getting enough POP WITH LSR&HSR BOTH fully open . Chatted with TF and we are both stumped as to why it don't seem to work well on the TR . I Think the DBinline maybe over damped in its rebound or simply does not work well with the TR .Anyway TF kindly did me a swop for the Debonair and as soon as I poped it on bingo ) did a 15mile route with jumps drops and the difrance is night and day the debonair is so much more poppy I have 6 clicks of rebound on the debonair but the inlines rebound was wide open and I was not getting bucked . One posible reason is CC had problems with riders useing over 200psi the rebound could not keep up and topping out was a issue so it would make perfect sence for CC to slow the rebound as standard . . I have no doute the inline is great just not for me and my frame

Read the rest for yourselves...

http://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomme ... agenum=305
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • poah
    same guy from MTBR - accident waiting to happen if he likes his rebound that fast
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    POAH wrote:
    same guy from MTBR - accident waiting to happen if he likes his rebound that fast

I take it you've never ridden a TR? I've found it responds better to faster rebound than I've run on other bikes. I'm running my rebound 2 clicks faster on my RP23 (there's only 8 clicks) than I was on my Marin.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Depends on his weight and riding style. A lot of people have thei rebound far too slow to compensate for poor riding (particularly jumping) technique.
    Im only running 4 clicks of HSR and 3 turns off max LSR and I run quite high pressure. Nice and fast but not fast enough to spike and loose grip.