Winter Cycling Boots/Shoes

Dippydog3
Dippydog3 Posts: 414
edited October 2014 in Road buying advice
Any recommendations for something warm, water and wind proof, not too heavy and SPD compatible?

I am fed up with summer shoes and overshoes.

Comments

• Banno
    Banno Posts: 63
    I have a pair of the florescent Northwave Celsius Arctic boots.
    I got them because I do not like overshoes.
    They are extremely comfortable and warm. They are also surprisingly stiff. More so than I was expecting, so they are also very efficient.
    I can thoroughly recommend them.
  • Banno wrote:
    I have a pair of the florescent Northwave Celsius Arctic boots.
    I got them because I do not like overshoes.
    They are extremely comfortable and warm. They are also surprisingly stiff. More so than I was expecting, so they are also very efficient.
    I can thoroughly recommend them.

+1 (mine are black)

Also despite appearances they weigh the same as a pair of lightweight shoes (eg S-Works) plus neoprene overshoes.
  • Dippydog3
    Dippydog3 Posts: 414
    thanks guys. looks like a good option. I am fed up with wet cold feet and putting on big socks. shoes, gaffer tape and overshoes. will order tomorrow.
  • Just make sure you get a size big enough to fit decent socks like Woolie Boolie. My normal shoes are 42, and 43 in the Northwave fit just right.
  • glasgowbhoy
    glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
    Bought SIDI Hydro Goretex £120 from Westbrook at the moment.
    Not cold or wet enough to try then until today ( but haven't put the cleats on yet)
    Sizing seems genuine. I'm a 42 and bought 42's, even with thick socks there is a bit of extra room.
    Only slight issue is the usual SIDI pathetic insole. Swapped out for the Specialized BG.
  • I've been using Shimano MW81 Goretex boots (with warm socks) for the last couple of winters after suffering with summer shoes, wool/Goretex socks and overshoes for years. In the dry and at temperatures around freezing, I can manage about a hour with summer shoes and overshoes but three hours with the MW81s. Never completely waterproof of course (the rain gets in at the top) but still a marked difference.
  • dnrc
    dnrc Posts: 159
    i got the northwave celcius arctic GTX last year after suffering with frozen toes for previous winters.

They're great.