32 spoke wheels - worth getting a custom build?

starbuck
starbuck Posts: 256
edited October 2014 in Road buying advice
I'm after a set of 32 spoke wheels for my 2013 giant defy 1. The roads round me aren't the greatest (as probably everywhere). With bad roads, winter and the fact I weigh about about 95kg means the pr2 wheels that came with the bike have a hard time.

So what I'm after is strong, light wheels. I think 32 spoke would give me the strength. I could probably afford £250=£300, although if I could get decent wheels cheaper, than all the better.

Question is, are there any standard wheels for around that price that would be worth it? If I had some custom built, what could I get for around the £200-300 mark?

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Archetypes on 6800 hubs will cost just a little bit over £300, but well worth it.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    Grill wrote:
    Archetypes on 6800 hubs will cost just a little bit over £300, but well worth it.

This - but swop out the 6800 hubs for Miche Primato for a build just less than £300.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    All the off the shelf 32 spoke builds are cheap, use narrow rims often are under tensioned and have eneven spoke tension. Hubs used are normally cheap and not very durable all in all pretty ropey really. So a custom build is the way to go and a good rim like the archetype and decent hubs like Ultegra or Miche would be perfect laced up with sapim race spokes.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    Grill wrote:

This.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • matt-h
    matt-h Posts: 847
    letap73 wrote:
    Grill wrote:

This - but swop out the 6800 hubs for Miche Primato for a build just less than £300.

I would stick with the 6800 unless you want a lower spoke count, in which case the Primato

Matt
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    A robust 32-spoke wheel is a good place to start if you fancy having a shot at building your own, of course. Much easier to make strong than a 24-spoke super-leggera jobby!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    I am 98kg and had Velocity A23 built onto Miche Primato with Sapim Race spokes for just under £300 (Spokesman Wheels) and they've been brilliant.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • starbuck
    starbuck Posts: 256
    Thanks for all your advice. I think I'll go for the Archetypes, but there are 2 hub options - Ultegra 6800's or Miche Primatos. Is there much difference between the hubs? Does one need to be serviced more frequently than another? Cycleclinic are showing £293 for the wheelset with Miche Primato's and £329 for the ultegra's, so both fairly close in price.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    6800 will last forever as long as you take care of them
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • 6800 are marvellous hubs indeed.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    The Miche hubs are also potentially very durable -there is not much in it.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Ultegra hubs will last longer if you service them. If you do the serving your self and do it on time, the hubs will be cheaper to run overall and mega mileages can be had. Miche hubs are the kind of things you run until the bearings wear out and replace, pretty easy to do as well. A miche hub with the internals replaced will run like new again and so long as bearing installation is not cocked up and the bearing seat mashed as a result there should be no limit to many times the bearings can be changed. An ultegra hub if left long enough to wear the hub shell will never run quite right again but that takes real neglet.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.