Stronger replacement for a Crest

Twelly
Twelly Posts: 1,437
edited October 2014 in MTB buying advice
So after a year of abuse on my BFe, I have finally wrecked the Crest on the back wheel. I am impressed it lasted that long. My first thought was to just have it re-rimmed with an Arch EX as I imagine the old spokes could be used and it would have the same profile so my tyres would fit the same.

Are there any other options I should consider?

I ride a lot of roots and rocks, drops no bigger than about 3-4ft and occasional runs on DH/jump lines but I don't hit them as hard as the big boys do.

Is it a good idea to replace spokes as well or will the originals be ok? Should I just buy a new back wheel? If so, suggestions?

26" by the way..

Comments

• Got the flow EX on my Canyon, taking everything in its stride... should be a good option.

Nice and light too!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Arch EC or WTB i23 would be my choice. Probably the WTB.
    Get new spokes as well, the Arch EX probably has a deeper rim so needs shorter spokes. It's always a good idea to get new spokes anyway, yours will have stretched.
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    I'm in the exact same situation as you and I'm going to buy the arch ex, and you can reuse the spokes as the ERD is only 1 mm different.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Assuming the quoted ERD is correct, all the ERD measurement I could find for the Alpine (what I'm using now in a wheel build) comes up with measured ERDs of 538-540 against a quoted 545.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    Just to update this, I spoke to Superstar about getting them to rebuild the hub with a Flow if I bought the new rim, spokes and nipples and they kindly informed me of their crash replacement scheme. £50 for a new flow, spokes and nipples all built and trued and sent back to me. Spot on.
  • The Rookie
    Excellent value as that is about £90 of parts at RRP!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    TwellySmat wrote:
    Just to update this, I spoke to Superstar about getting them to rebuild the hub with a Flow if I bought the new rim, spokes and nipples and they kindly informed me of their crash replacement scheme. £50 for a new flow, spokes and nipples all built and trued and sent back to me. Spot on.
    Are you kidding?! Do you think they would do the same for me with an arch ex?
  • The Rookie
    Try a phone call!