One or two power meters

davoj
davoj Posts: 190
edited October 2014 in Road buying advice
With the likes of stages making power meters become more affordable, I was wondering are cyclist buying one or two?

One for the race bike and one for training/winter bike or are they changing the crank each time.

Comments

• lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    Or none.
  • I have two power meters. Just changed my Power2max over to my winter bike today. I have a Powertap wheel I will be using on the turbo for the winter. Having two saves a lot of faffing about.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I can't see many riders having two power Meters.

The vast majority have none.

Some have one.

Very few have two.

Once the race bike has been packed away for the winter it would be a very easy job to swap the crank - if the bikes are compatible. I don't know why you'd spend £600 for the sake of it.
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Think three is the minimum to go for.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    The joy of Stages is the simplicity of swapping it from bike to bike to bike. Some will say Powertap is easy to move but not, if like me, you have a disc-braked and a rim-braked bike (not to mention if you need to swap tyres etc). All other systems are harder to move especially, if like me, you run compact on one bike and standard double in the other.

The only downside potentially is that a crank arm might not be acceptable in hand baggage on planes (which was a goal for me in order to use the Stages in both Scotland and NL; my two homes)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Keezx wrote:

One for each bike?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Power2Max changes just as easily as Stages.

I currently have one but am currently considering buying another for the training rig (both TT bikes).
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    Having two isn't that strange. Once you get into the power thing it's difficult to go with out so its at least nice to have a back up.

For me, one Powertap used to have a cover on it and would be my race wheel, then I had another one for training on. In winter one lives on the turbo, one gets used on the road.

And Powertap bearings are so shockingly poor that at any given time one of my Powertaps would be at palligap being serviced, well nearly.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    davoj wrote:
    With the likes of stages making power meters become more affordable

Cheapest I've seen is still £600. I find that amount still a lot of money just to send a number to my cycling computer. I'm still not sure how it would transform my cycling for fitness. Would it make me any fitter or just confirm what I already know, my right leg is weaker than my left? The only data I look at on my cycle computer is..
    - Elapsed time
    - Speed
    - Distance
    - Cadence (what I look at the most and consider the most important)
    - Time of day (especially now it's getting dark early on a night)
    - Heart rate (I hardly look at this now)
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • meanredspider
    Grill wrote:

Well, it doesn't - even IF you're running the same size chain rings, you're still messing about with the chain and removing the crank. It's not a big deal but if you are literally swapping cranks (one from one bike onto the other and vice versa), there's more fiddling about. If the chain rings aren't the same (as mine aren't) then you're doing far more work. It's precisely why I didn't buy P2M.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Grill
    Grill wrote:

Well, it doesn't - even IF you're running the same size chain rings, you're still messing about with the chain and removing the crank. It's not a big deal but if you are literally swapping cranks (one from one bike onto the other and vice versa), there's more fiddling about. If the chain rings aren't the same (as mine aren't) then you're doing far more work. It's precisely why I didn't buy P2M.

Takes 20 seconds. I only care about power on my TT bikes.
  • meanredspider
    Grill wrote:
    Grill wrote:

Takes 20 seconds. I only care about power on my TT bikes.

So the OP has a couple of TT bikes??? :roll:
  • Grill
    The OP asked who has two PM's. I responded. Keep up son.
  • meanredspider
    davoj wrote:
    With the likes of stages making power meters become more affordable, I was wondering are cyclist buying one or two?

One for the race bike and one for training/winter bike or are they changing the crank each time.
    Grill wrote:

Well, Pops (love being called "son" as I approach my 50th, BTW :lol: ), when I went to school, they taught us to read (good grammar too :wink: ) and, more importantly, comprehend.
  • Grill
    I don't understand the point of quoting the OP. If you're trying to disprove something I said, you're failing spectacularly. As I said earlier, I have two TT bikes. One for winter/training and one for races.
  • Entirely up to the rider. If you have two bikes and want two PM's then go for it.

Ive got two, one for each bike, my race bike, my TT bike and im considering a basic Stages or similar for my winter bike. But there are a few good alternatives coming out soon so i might wait to see how they perform.
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    davoj wrote:

Grill wrote:

Well, Pops (love being called "son" as I approach my 50th, BTW :lol: ), when I went to school, they taught us to read (good grammar too :wink: ) and, more importantly, comprehend.

When I went to school they taught me not to clutch at straws such as grammar in an internet argument.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    It's amazing how this thread has gone from "power meters" to the "a comparison of the education system over the past 50 years". I blame Wiggle for the decline in the standard of English, we need bigger Haribo bags :D
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Keezx wrote:

One for each bike?

Yes sir.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Keezx wrote:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: