Garmin mount for aero road bars

duckson
duckson Posts: 961
edited December 2014 in Road buying advice
Weighing up what new bike to buy and while the Canyon CF SLX is on the list so is the new Aeroad.
I've noticed the handlebars on the Aeroad are aero (ovalised) in shape and i assume the normal Garmin Out Front mount wont fit as its for standard 31.8mm bars (assuming aero are fatter than 31.8mm, they are obviously not 31.8mm tall, there is no dimensions on the Canyon website however).

Anyone got aero road bars and use a Garmin mount out front of the handlebars, if so what?
Cheers, Stu

Comments

• lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/tate-labs-the-bar-fly-ttaero/

Clip it on the aero bars. ^ that ones pricey but I only did a very quick search as I remembered seeing it a few months back. Should be something similiar out there for less.
  • duckson
    Doesn't that go on TT bars? I'm talking about handlebars.
    Cheers, Stu
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    My bad thought it said aero bars. Goodluck in your search.
  • I've got the same problem, i've just ordered one of these mirror mounts.

I'm gonna bin the mirror and replace it with a twisty Garmin mount to fix my 500 to.

thirdeye_helmet__mirror.jpg

If it works I might start selling them, will probably need to jack up some sort of crowd surfing funding thing set up.

Either that or the Dragons Den. 8)
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    All depends on whether the bars are integrated i.e. stem and bar in one piece or separate items. With integrated bars there's usually the option to mount an out front computer mount. The choice is then mount the standard Garmin mount to that or add an out front mount to it. With separate items there is usually enough of a round section where the bar fits into the stem to let you fit an out front mount. I have to use both options with my two road bikes as one has an FSA integrated bar and stem and the other FSA K-Wing bars.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • duckson
    Thanks.
    Its separate stem and bars on the 7.0 Di2 i'm looking at, i've emailed Canyon UK for some info on how much either side of the stem clamping area they are round or if they have any pics.

I'll report back when/if i get a response! :)
    Cheers, Stu
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    I have a Giant Propel with aero bars. I used Raceware for a Garmin mount.

Works a treat. Presume other bars are similar in shape. Alternatively there is a Danish guy selling brackets that fit off the the stem via the stem fave plate bolts. Can't remember name but recollect they looked very good.
  • duckson
    Does your Propel have an all in one bar and stem though?
    Cheers, Stu
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    No.

But there are mounts for those as well.
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,857
    I use a normal garmin out front with the separate bars and stem on my tt bike, it's no problem
  • izza wrote:

Works a treat. Presume other bars are similar in shape. Alternatively there is a Danish guy selling brackets that fit off the the stem via the stem fave plate bolts. Can't remember name but recollect they looked very good.

Morten Tillquist is his name and these are his Garmin mounts. http://edge-mount.bike/

You need to buy the one that fits your stem obviously as the distance between the bolts varies wildly.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    izza wrote:

Morten Tillquist is his name and these are his Garmin mounts. http://edge-mount.bike/

You need to buy the one that fits your stem obviously as the distance between the bolts varies wildly.

Thanks for posting that. The flimsy FSA device mount on my Plasma bars broke in a crash. The ones in the link look a lot more sturdy so I'll be giving one of them a try.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    duckson wrote:

Racewaredirect will custom make mounts for any application. Good people.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • duckson
    duckson wrote:
    Thanks.
    Its separate stem and bars on the 7.0 Di2 i'm looking at, i've emailed Canyon UK for some info on how much either side of the stem clamping area they are round or if they have any pics.

I'll report back when/if i get a response! :)

Canyon's reponse;

The new Aerobars will not take a Garmin mount, the elastic bands that come with the garmin will hold the mount on.
    Cheers, Stu
  • I'm looking at buying the Aeroroad too - can't help feel it defies the point of the aero bars strapping a Garmin to the top of them!
  • Check out these guys, they make custom mounts and will have one for Canyon Aeroroad - should be ready in March.

www.racewaredirect.co.uk/garmin-mounts/4572268838